We have deployed VSE8.8 on all managed systems and the task to deploy VSE works fine. I just notice that there are remaining systems that did'nt accept the update.
When I try to isolate 1 of the affected machine, it says that "Error occurred while installing VIRUSCAN8800 "
I tried to removed VSE 8.7 first but it also failed using ePO.
Tried to check the logs but I cannot find any helpfl details
Anyone encounter this issue?
The VSE package must have been downloaded by the agent so please try to run the package manually (so it displays the gui), it might tell you what the problem is.
You can run a separate VSE package as well to find out the same.
I test and tried to install VSE on 1 test machine, nothing change on files on VSE folder when I checked it. I try to install manually and it doesn't show any error but it still install.
Any thoughts?Message was edited by: romardy on 7/10/13 8:47:55 PM CDT
I try to install manually and it doesn't show any error but it still install.
You mean here: "doesn't install", right? I assume the install just rolls back at some point. If yes, please attach here the logs in %temp%\mcafeelogs folder (all of them), I'll try to have a look.
Please make sure that only logs from latest attempt of installation reside in McAfeeLogs, thanks.
Yes. I try to install manually on 1 of the affected machine and it successfully installed. Doing this to 200+ machines is so hard that it may take sometime. If you can help me trace what really causing the issue, I will be very glad.
I have attached 2 log files from 2 different client. I indicated the notes on their filename for a better look.
Thanks for you help...Message was edited by: romardy on 7/11/13 12:56:07 AM CDT
This ends just at the same place as the previous one. I rummaged through it and found several entreis that may be interesting:
starting with (first such entry):
Info 1603.The file C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\mfehida.dll is being held in use by the following process: Name: fcags, ID: 424, Window Title: (not determined yet). Close that application and retry.
From the .log I could not determine to what action they belong, I vaguely would say that to the previous VSE 87 removal attempt but these entries are detached from the actual entries denoting the VSE87 removal attempt earlier in the log but still maybe.
Please make sure the VSE 8.7 is completely removed from the client first (including but not limited to files existing still in the install dir or reg keys existing).
McAfee Service Portal customers please use your existing username and password to log into the community.