cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

VSE 8.8 and Acrord32.exe - is there a hotfix like vse8.7 613017 ?

Hi

We are piloting VSE 8.8 and we are getting the buffer overflow problem with Acrord32.exe. We did have the hotfix 613017 for vse 8.7 which worked. But we are now getting the buffer overflow error when using 8.8.

Is there any work around for this ? we have Acrord32.exe sent within the Bufferflow Overflow Protection policy but we are still getting the pop up when loading Acrord32.exe.

Tony

10 Replies
mjmurra
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: VSE 8.8 and Acrord32.exe - is there a hotfix like vse8.7 613017 ?

Have you looked for other culprits? On a XP test machine of mine, the exemption using 8.8 Prod works fine.

The settings I have:

Process Name: acrord32.exe

Other two options left blank.

dvestal
Level 7
Message 3 of 11

We are running into the same problem.  What I have found is that when the exception is first added, it works for 30 minutes or so.  Later, if you try to run Reader X (10.0.1), Protected Mode will not run again.  If you open the VirusScan Console, view the Properties of Buffer Overflow Protection where the exceptions are list, Reader X will then start opening in Protected Mode.  This will work a short time before the problem returns. 

mjmurra
Level 12
Message 4 of 11

Are you sure that's the problem? 10.0.1 doesn't require a BOP exemption to work correctly. There are other causes for the protected mode not working though.

dvestal
Level 7
Message 5 of 11

If I disable BOP, Reader X runs fine.

JayMan
Level 10
Message 6 of 11

As said in the other thread, there is a problem with how the ePO policies are applied for BOP exclusions.

When you open the properties & then it works for 30mins or so, this is because you are then correctly applying the exclusions locally... At the next agent policy enforcement, the 'broken' settings are written to the registry again & hence you get problems.

In saying that though.... 10.0.1 is working OK for me (and our 300 or so systems) sofar.

dvestal
Level 7
Message 7 of 11

Then how are you making it work?  I have tried both Acrord32.exe and "C:\Program Files\Reader 10.0\Reader\Acrord32.exe" as BOP exception via ePo, individually and together with the same result (it works if I look at the exception on the local machine, but as soon as ePo updated, it stops working again).  I have tried leaving the exceptions empty in ePo and manually inputting the exception on the local client; again it works at first, but as soon as ePo updates, the exceptions are removed.

JayMan
Level 10
Message 8 of 11

Are you definately using Adobe Reader 10.0.1?

With Reader 10.0.1 installed, I am not using any expemptions in VSE BOP settings (local or ePO based).

dvestal
Level 7
Message 9 of 11

Reader X version.bmp

JayMan
Level 10
Message 10 of 11

What version of Windows are you using? Our environment is Windows XP SP3 & Win7 Enterprise x64 based.

(though the Win7 x64 machines were never affected as VSE doesn't have BOP for 64bit platforms)

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community