cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSE 8.8 - Where is mcshield service gone

On serveral systems ocours after updating from 8.7i to 8.8 following error even though the installation was successfull:

McShield Service is deletet (i couldnt find it in services.msc or even in the registry)

On system startup the eventlog is showing following entrys:

Ereignistyp: Fehler

Ereignisquelle: McLogEvent

Ereigniskategorie: Keine Ereignis-ID: 1007

Datum: 11.01.2012 Zeit: 13:49:35

Benutzer: Nicht zutreffend

Computer: **************

Beschreibung: Task Manager : Could not open registry keys

and no icon is visible in the systray

anyone is expiriencing the same problem? found no solution in the knowledge base

13 Replies

Re: VSE 8.8 - Where is mcshield service gone

thanks for the fast help

davor
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 14

Hi Alexpthe1,

I am having this issue too, but can you please share the answer you got?

Thank you in advance.

i got no answer, the it-sec department of our customer opend a case at mcafee platinum service,  still no real answer (ok mcaffe told to uninstall and reinstall, but uninstall fails with err code 44 ), and yes we sent the mers and yes we have a valid grant number. now having 20 tickets and over 200 computers with no modulversion reported to epo management console. 

perhaps i should recommend our customer to invite a "consultant" and tell him, to bring along his sneakers

@mcaffe: great job

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 14

This is a issue of concern for us, as we believe it's a real issue but unfortunately have very little to go on at this time for investigating/identifying root cause.

The best advice I can give for now is, if you know you've encountered this issue and/or have systems in a broken state - work with McAfee Support as needed to get the systems back to a working state.

Ideally, we'll be able to work together in identifying a method for us to recreate the issue and thereby debug it to identify root-cause.

For the time being, we've been working with circumstantial data but even so we've planned some improvements with our Patch 2 installer. The changes may help to avoid failure, at the very least will allow for easier recovery.

If issues were villains, the culprit here one is definitely a person of interest - anyone with knowledge of their whereabouts are encouraged to come forward.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Has there been any progress on this?  We're currently rebuilding a large number of PCs, and although the McAfee Agent installs successfully post-rebuild, on the first policy enforcement, VSE 8.8 installation fails with a 1007 error in Event Viewer.  It is not visible in Add/Remove Programs.  I can see VirusScan Console in Start > All Programs, but if I try to run it I get "waiting for the McAfee TaskManager to start" followed by "Unable to connect to the McAfee TaskManager service.  Some functionality may not be available".  If I try to remove VSE from ePO, an event is logged to say that Windows Installer has started, then immediately stops.  Error 1007s are reported at every policy enforcement, but it is not reported to ePO as a failed deployment.  I now have approx 60 PCs in this state

davor
Level 7
Message 7 of 14

Hi,

Did you already try with VSE 8.8 patch1? in my case this solve the issue.

Hi David,

Yes, this problem is with the installation of VSE 8.8 P1

mcdave
Level 10
Message 9 of 14

Is there any progress in this issue?
I'm facing exacntpy the same on about 100 clients

Are you experiencing this issue with the Patch 4 repost from 18th Feb 2014?

Rich

Volunteer Moderator

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community