cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: [VSE 8.8] When will cached files be rescanned

Jump to solution

Has anyone ever questioned the time/resource consumption necessary to populate the cache? Creating all these file signatures and storing them takes both CPU cycles and disk I/O...

Like previously mentioned by someone else, we feel more pain than gain with the installation of 8.8, coming from 8.7. Where as with 8.7 I never noticed when the weekly scan ran on my machine, now with 8.8, I notice it all the time; with the same settings migrated from one version to the next.

The only time I witness a significant (drastic) benefit was when performing two full scans sequentially; otherwise, never.

Like many, we do daily DAT updates, but since this event will be flushing the cache in mid-day, it almost prompts to postpone these updates if not doing them every other day to better leverage the cache (not really a valid option).

I wish we had control over the cache behavior and we able to tell it not to "flush" systematically but rather on a schedule. Once a week for the ODS would be beneficial I think. Any accessed file would still be scanned with the latest daily DAT but at least the full ODS could benefit from the existing cache not being empty on each pass... Just a thought.

So far, not impressed by 8.8 at all!!!! Neither are our users... (~2000)

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 22 of 27

Jump to solution
Like previously mentioned by someone else, we feel more pain than gain with the installation of 8.8, coming from 8.7. Where as with 8.7 I never noticed when the weekly scan ran on my machine, now with 8.8, I notice it all the time; with the same settings migrated from one version to the next.

That's a configuration problem.

You should review the ODS settings with respect to how 8.8 works, and adjust the setting to have the scan behave the way you intended.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Jump to solution

wwarren wrote:

That's a configuration problem.

You should review the ODS settings with respect to how 8.8 works, and adjust the setting to have the scan behave the way you intended.

Will,

Could you be a little more specific? I reviewed the 8.8 documentation but saw nothing whether in the ODS task or the policies that could be tuned to improve performance. ODS general option is set to use the cache, which is retained during reboots, performance is set to low, etc... Yet, when a scan kicks in, the machines are rendered unusable; to the point where I have now been asked to revert back to 8.7 and cancel the roll out of 8.8!!!

We're using ePO 4.6, trying to push out VSE 8.8 with patch 1.

Highlighted
Quitch
Level 7
Message 24 of 27

Jump to solution

Jump to solution

we`re seeing the same thing...I can`t find a specific setting in the ODS othen than to use the cache, but I have users SCREAMING that when the ODS scan goes off, they see a delay in typing, moving their mouse, etc....

I`ve tinkered with the process level (below normal, normal low) and it made no different...

ODS under 8.8, promised to be a performance release, rather seems to have been a HUGE reduction in performance....

If we could get the security features from 8.8 patch 1 ported back to 8.7, I`d switch back in a heartbeat, cause so far, 8.8 has been a dud...

Jump to solution

We ran into the same thing here.  I setup VSE 8.8 according to the best practices guide, and every time an ODS kicked in on it was significantly worse than the machines with 8.7.

We finally gave up and just reverted back to 8.7

I will say that in 8.8, the java scanning is WAY worse (slower more resources consumed) than 8.7

Both 8.7 and 8.8 in our setup are configured according to best practices, so the only difference in the ODS scan is the product itself (and of course, the "use cache" feature).

jguenrdc
Level 12
Message 27 of 27

Jump to solution

I suspect this has to do with VSE 8.8 using mcshield.exe to do the ODS scanning instead of scan32.exe.  Since mcshield.exe is the OAS, it is set to a higher priority.  This is just a guess on my part, I don't work for McAfee, I don't have any "inside info", and I haven't spent time figuring out a way to test this theory, but it seems the most likely culprit.  I am able to do ODS at night when no one is in the office, so I haven't had to deal with it.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community