cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSE 8.8 SDAT Updates - Admin Rights?

hi folks,

am running VirusScan Enterprise + Antispyware Enterprise 8.8 and need to apply SDAT updates on Windows 7.

i need local branch office managers to be able to complete these updates (on standalone PC's)  without Admin credentials.

I have tried aas a Power User but this failed - giving me the error "SuperDAT Notify- Error: Unable to backup existing file. Not enough rights. : Line 12"

Can anyone tell me how i allow SDAT updates without granting admin rights please?

7 Replies

Re: VSE 8.8 SDAT Updates - Admin Rights?

Moved from Other McAfee Products > Virus Scan Enterprise > Discussions By Moderator

As it seemed more appropiate

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

its seems that a Power User in Windows 7 is not quite as powerful as the Power User in Windows XP.

i think this is the main issue.

That would be a question better suited to be answered by one from Enterprise Products. Hopefully the Enterprise Moderator shortly picks up this thread and better assist you. Or another with more knowledge/expertize.

Wishing you all the very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

(Consumer Products)

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
wwarren
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 8

You can try providing "Modify"+"Write" access to this folder + subfolders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\Engine

It appears that by default, Power user doesn't have explicit credentials here.

And the SDAT requires write permission to be able to create a backup copy of DAT files.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

thanks wwarren,

based on your advice, i have added the account with permissions to that folder - now i just need to wait until tomorrow for the new SDAT to test it.

great idea though thank you - i will let you know how i get on.

thanks again.

wwarren
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 8

A tidbit of advice for looking into the behavior with more granularity should you have further issues -

Prior to running the SDAT, launch the tool "Process Monitor" (from MSFT). It will record the file and registry activity that occurs during execution of the SDAT. After the SDAT has exited, save all events in native PML log format to review in conjunction with the SDAT log activity.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

wwarren,

this fixed my problem, thank you so so much

i owe you a beer.