cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 6 for Windows 10

Jump to solution

I will try contacting support but generally I've found them to be pretty useless.

Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 66

Jump to solution

pcfarrar wrote:

I will try contacting support but generally I've found them to be pretty useless.

Well, maybe a better approach is to contact Your Account Rep, not tech support.

When given the original Grant Number, you were assigned an Account Rep. I have forgotten/lost track of mine. So maybe Tech Support tech can look that up for you.

So, I am really interested: This is VirusScan Enterprise (for Windows) whereby mostly PCs are connected to a Domain. I have not seen production (not beta/test systems) that are connected to a domain, offered the Win10 upgrade.

Are you trying to implement Win10 Pro/Ultimate or are these OEM copies preloaded with Win10?

Are these systems connected to a Domain, or is this in a test environment that you need to test before production implementation?

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Reliable Contributor vandreytrindade
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 66

Jump to solution

Ron Metzger,

The Win10 upgrade won't be offered for domain joined machines yet.

But if you have OEM Windows 7/8 machines on your work, and want to upgrade them, just use the MediaCreationTool.

We tested here in one machine and it activated ok (since the OEM key of Windows 7 was original).

PS: At least I tried to gather all information about this subject and the only thing I've read is that the Win10 upgrade offer won't appear on domain joined machines for now. Nothing about "you can't try to update it using MCT".

We just had to go back to 7 because of McAfee...

Att,
Vandrey Trindade
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 66

Jump to solution

vandreytrindade wrote:

The Win10 upgrade won't be offered for domain joined machines yet.

Exactly, my point. I am not aware that Win10 Pro / Ultimate / VAL / Enterprise or even OEM is in Production for Domain connected systems.

vandreytrindade wrote:

But if you have OEM Windows 7/8 machines on your work, and want to upgrade them, just use the MediaCreationTool.

We tested here in one machine and it activated ok (since the OEM key of Windows 7 was original).

PS: At least I tried to gather all information about this subject and the only thing I've read is that the Win10 upgrade offer won't appear on domain joined machines for now. Nothing about "you can't try to update it using MCT".

Right, great ideas, but mostly intended for TEST environments. Microsoft has not fully tested the upgrade process for Enterprise users. In an Enterprise environment, one would implement Patch 6 mostly via ePO. As far as I can tell, Microsoft is still making changes to Win10 for the Enterprise environment. Testing Patch 6 for yet to be complete Microsoft code, should be left to the test environment until Microsoft finalizes Win10 for the Enterprise environment.

pcfarrar wrote:

Domain systems running Windows 10 Pro. Admitedly we only have a few upgraded at present but it would be useful to have a working Virusscan. We have been using it for over a week now and have had no issues with any other applications or products we use.

So, this is Pre-Production test version of Win 10? That's great that 'other applications' are fully compatible, but security software, like VSE, hook much deeper than most applications. And, a failure in any place here could cause severe issues in an enterprise. It's great to try this in a test environment, but limit Patch 6 to the test environment, in my humble opinion. Your Account Rep should be able to provide you Patch 6 for Testing Purposes.

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Reliable Contributor vandreytrindade
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 66

Jump to solution

Ron Metzger,

Windows 10 Enterprise Now Available For Businesses

Right, great ideas, but mostly intended for TEST environments. Microsoft has not fully tested the upgrade process for Enterprise users. In an Enterprise environment, one would implement Patch 6 mostly via ePO. As far as I can tell, Microsoft is still making changes to Win10 for the Enterprise environment. Testing Patch 6 for yet to be complete Microsoft code, should be left to the test environment until Microsoft finalizes Win10 for the Enterprise environment.

"So we are supposed to just wait to update some of our organization machines for testing Windows 10 with our own products because they were lazy?"

Read the bold word please.

Att,
Vandrey Trindade

Jump to solution

Domain systems running Windows 10 Pro. Admitedly we only have a few upgraded at present but it would be useful to have a working Virusscan. We have been using it for over a week now and have had no issues with any other applications or products we use.

Jump to solution

I can confirm with TomZ2, just put in a ticket and mention you'll be using it to test in your DEV environment.

D-Fens
Level 7
Message 18 of 66

Jump to solution

Did anyone find the release notes for patch 6? I want to read them in advance

Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 66

Jump to solution

It is bad timing for us, as this Windows 10 release is too close to fall move-in. I work at a university and we have students/faculty coming back to school in two weeks. We had to put up a warning that McAfee Virus Scan is not currently supported and to wait a few months. Even when the patch 6 gets released, it will need to go thru weeks of testing in our environment to make sure that we don't get critical bug or BSOD. In the past, it can take me a month or two to be comfortable about releasing a patch. I usually do some testing and then wait to see what the early adopters encounter with the patch.

Jump to solution

Guess I need to reassess my view of McAfee support they have provided me now with both the patch 6 and the full install with patch 6.

Will give it a try when I'm back in work tomorrow.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community