Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 33

Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 5 - coming soon...

Has someone jumped the gun with this release?

Nah, it's just that there are so many i's to dot and t's to cross, the eyes go blurry after a while.

The term "Repost" in this context refers to our full-install package. We repost it whenever we release a patch so customers don't have to install a base version followed by a patch; they can install a single package, the repost package.

And we tried something new with the release notes. It's purpose in life is to point you to KB51111 which holds all VSE's supported releases and platforms info - the idea being we encourage everyone to review the links to both the product documentation (the "PDxxxxxx" link) and the known issues (the "KBxxxxxx" link) and any other comments we might have added... except of course, we craftily omitted listing Patch 5 hoping someone would notice!  Thank you

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
Highlighted

wwarren wrote:

The term "Repost" in this context refers to our full-install package. We repost it whenever we release a patch so customers don't have to install a base version followed by a patch; they can install a single package, the repost package.

And we tried something new with the release notes. It's purpose in life is to point you to KB51111 which holds all VSE's supported releases and platforms info - the idea being we encourage everyone to review the links to both the product documentation (the "PDxxxxxx" link) and the known issues (the "KBxxxxxx" link) and any other comments we might have added... except of course, we craftily omitted listing Patch 5 hoping someone would notice!  Thank you

As always thanks for the speedy reply. Ok, for some reason I always thought REPOST was the result of when a package was found to be "bad" after it had been published, and so had to be re-released without even a minor version increment. Thanks for clarifying.

Regrding the doco, it pleases me to be the first. lol Looking forward to when they get posted over the next few days, as we usually use them as a manner to get buy-in from our customers to upgrade. Or in some cases, they eagerly await the Release Notes to see if defects they have are fixed, new features, new OS support etc.

Oh, one last thing I should mention. Please, please let's avoid a repeat of Patch 4, with Patch 6, in which I mean Patch 4 got delayed many months by some critical defects well, well after Windows 8.1 was released. Many of our customers weren't impressed. Granted Microsoft has yet to give a concrete release date for Windows 10, but we already have a massive interest from customers for Windows 10 during this public beta stage, and "team Yellow & Black" are going to be providing some support for it, in advance, in their next release any day now.

Highlighted

We are doing proof of concept testing on Microsoft DirectAccess and have run into a project-killer problem on our remote DirectAccess Windows 8.1 clients. McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 Patch 4 does not play nicely with the Windows Advanced Firewall. Symptoms include blocking some IPv6 TCP traffic and disabling Windows Firewall logging. My deadlines do not allow me to wait until May 19 for general availability of patch 5.

• I would very much like to know if patch 5 resolves these issues (are they known issues being addressed; the call-out to fixes for DirectAccess implies this, but no specifics provided)?
  • I would like to obtain an engineering pre-release patch 5 update or hotfix for DirectAccess so that I can test in my DirectAccess proof-of-concept lab.

What steps can I take to get the above questions answered?

Thanks.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 24 of 33

Work with your Support Account Manager to make sure they're aware of your needs and can facilitate your request for getting Patch 5 "early".

If you don't have a SAM then you might be waiting 'til the general availability date.

All DirectAccess related issues I'm aware of have been addressed via the KB article (cited in another thread). If you have something new, that would make your environment unique somehow.

Highlighted

if you are having issue with windows firewall why do not you try Mcafee HIPS it will disable windows firewall.

Highlighted

Microsoft DirectAccess requires Microsoft Advanced Firewall. This is a dependency of IPsec.

Highlighted

Good news regarding the soon-to-be available Patch 5.  What I determined (with help from McAfee escallation to tier 2 gold support) was that the packaging of Patches 2-3-4 caused our problem noticed on Windows 8.1 and DirectAccess. When we installed the full installation at Patch 2 level and updated directly to Patch 4 with a delta-only update, the problems noted with DirectAccess went a way. I was told by tier 2 that this issue will be addressed in Patch 5. I am assuming the an error in packaging of updates in Patch 3 or 4 caused the issue.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 28 of 33

FYI, patch 5 has released to support.

We have begun the managed release of it and will monitor its acceptance in the field over the next 4 weeks or so, after which it's expected to be made available for general download.

Documentation associated with Patch 5, like the release notes, will remain an internal publication until the release to world/web... May 18 (or the week thereof).

Highlighted

This patch5 is not functioning properly,   If breaks the access protection

In our case , we use the "Anti-spyware Maximum protection" rule to prevent files from being executed from temp directories.   We have set a bunch of exclusions for known applications/installers .

Up and until patch 4 it works fine but from patch5 is is broken : no matter what exclusions you set , everything gets blocked as if there are no exclusions

We noticed this behaviour in the hotfix needed for TIE which we sent to 6000 PC's . 2 weeks ago they gave us VSE88LMLRP5 to try to fix the situation but to no avail : the bug still exists.

We called , logged tickets, tried everything to explain this to McAfee but they don't seem to understand the problem   And now they release this buggy thing to the world

this is what we see :

VSE8.8P4  version 1247 -> all ok

with hotfix for TIE  version 1263 -> AP no longer works correctly

with patch5  version 1385 -> AP still not working correctly

A very simple test (using teamviewer as an example):

-take a PC , and install VSE88P4

-Download the teamviewer installer

-enable the anti-spyware max protection

-try to run the teamviewer installer

It will not work and in the McAfee log you'll see a Deny Execute for the teamviewer installer

-Set an exclusion fot the teamviewer installer

Now Teamviewer will install (abort the installer , you don't need to actually install the thing)

-Update VSE to Patch5

-enable the anti-spyware max protection and set an exclusion for teamviewer

-try to run teamviewer installer

It will install in 50% of the cases

-try to run teamviewer instalerl again

it will no longer install , despite the exclusion

In the log it gives a deny READ instead of a deny Execute so there is something wrong with the access protection

You can see that to reproduce the problem all you need is a simle PC and VSE . It has nothing to do with ePO , network , environment, ....   (support kept asking questions about our ePO , network,... which was very frustrating)

Because it happened with the TIE hotfix , we have no way to uninstall (our PC's have version 1263) so we have to use 4 steps :

-Uninstall vse , but then the 'newer' files remain and stay in memory -> we can't run scripts in this phase

-Install the VSE88LMLRP5 so the v1263 get overwritten with the v1385 files

-Uninstall VSE88LMLRP5 so all files are gone

-Install VSE88LMLRP4 so we get back to v1247

I would advise to not use this version.

Highlighted

Patch88P5.JPG

There are 2 version one is VirusScan Enterprise patch 5 released May 19 2015, File size 45,2 MB.

One is VirusScan Enterprise Repost patch 5 released May 19 2015, File size 86,,2 MB.

Until now I didn't find help documentation regarding the meaning of the 2 version.

Could be that the repost version (bigger size) include all previous patches ?!?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community