Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markc2000
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 61 of 71

Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 4 - coming soon...

I read the readme carefully and I noticed the caveats with VSE RTM upgrades.  My question is, rather then install Patch 1 for x86 and Patch 2 for x64, can I just patch all my RTMs to Patch 2, and then install Patch 4?

Also, if we did a full uninstall and reinstall, do I need to reboot inbetween?

Thanks,

Mark

wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 62 of 71

My question is, rather then install Patch 1 for x86 and Patch 2 for x64, can I just patch all my RTMs to Patch 2, and then install Patch 4?

Yes, you can do that.

Be mindful of KB77683; some environments have run into that snag, but the workarounds are successful.

Also, if we did a full uninstall and reinstall, do I need to reboot inbetween?

Nope.

A reboot would be advisable, but it's not required.

It's advisable because until you reboot you still have "old" kernel driver code loaded in memory, whose existence alone is using kernel resources despite the driver code itself is doing "nothing". But this is true whenever you upgrade drivers, such as patching or uninstall/reinstalling the product, so it's nothing most people need be worried about.

A reboot would just ensure a cleaner working environment.

If you want to delay that reboot until after the reinstall, that's fine too... but at that point you'll have a rather complicated looking stack of "old" and "new" drivers, and some people have reported stability issues when in that state (their systems BSOD'ing due to stack exhaustion). Most systems are fine though and can reboot at their convenience...

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
PhilR
Level 12
Message 63 of 71

wwarren wrote:

If you want to delay that reboot until after the reinstall, that's fine too... but at that point you'll have a rather complicated looking stack of "old" and "new" drivers, and some people have reported stability issues when in that state (their systems BSOD'ing due to stack exhaustion). Most systems are fine though and can reboot at their convenience...

Drat, we had three old Windows 2003 boxes which bluescreened on us for this reason.

I'd seriously recommend increasing the IRPStackSize to 20 or higher and rebooting at a convenient time before installing Patch 4.

An earlier forum thread on this topic:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/42679

Phil

ratlsnake
Level 7
Message 64 of 71

wwarren,

Is Patch 4 supposed to resolve (or at least reduce) the apparent unresolved issue documented in this KB?

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79215

We're seeing more and more of this across multiple customers (particularly with 8.8 Patch 2) and some of the release note fixes of Patch 4 have descriptions that tend to suggest to me might be in an effort to reduce/resolve this annoying issue.

Cheers.

wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 65 of 71

Is Patch 4 supposed to resolve (or at least reduce) the apparent unresolved issue documented in this KB?

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79215

Patch 4 helps. It's not a panacea.

The DAT 0000 symptom is complex; multiple potential causes exist and we're trying to root cause them so we can address them.

Patch 4 includes 1 identified cause that has been fixed. For the outstanding causes, we're devising an alternate solution that is expected to become a hotfix - that KB will be updated when something's available.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
nicklut
Level 7
Message 66 of 71

We deployed patch4 , and the bufferoverflow errors keep coming.. is this a known error?

PhilR
Level 12
Message 67 of 71

nicklut wrote:

We deployed patch4 , and the bufferoverflow errors keep coming.. is this a known error?

Yes, see https://community.mcafee.com/message/320897#320897

+1 on the Buffer Overflow issues. Excel and Word affected at least, but strangely only affecting certain systems. Other systems working fine. No apparent pattern to who is affected (different versions of Excel, operating system, etc.)

PhilR
Level 12
Message 69 of 71

Patch 4 seems to have solved an issue we had where a handful of PCs each day which couldn't update their DAT files to the current version, even though they'd succeeeded a few days previously.

ramaswamy
Level 7
Message 70 of 71

Please note that the SP4 repost is available for me on list of downloads. I am already on VSE 8.8 sp2 on all my connected desktops & I use EPO for deploying all updates. My EPO is on 4.6.7. But i find that i am unable to deply the SP4 to my desktops. It fails on the deployment. In fact i had added both the Mcafee sp4 & HIPS sp4. The HIPS sp4 got deployed, but the VSE sp4 is not getting deployed. My OS is ranging from XP sp3 to Win 7 32 & 64 bits. What could be the reason? I am on the latest on Agent which is 4.8.0.1500. Do let me know

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community