Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 31 of 71

Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 4 - coming soon...

Unexpected behavior means you'll experience issues that could range from the obvious (BSOD) to the excrutiatingly subtle (sporadic timing issues), all due to the installed technology not supporting the operating system you're running it on. If you want me to tell you what those are I'm afraid I don't have that info, I can only say what to expect since using anything less than 8.8 Patch 4 on Windows 8.1 is unsupported.

VSE 8.8 Patch 4 is required to support Windows 8.1 - though it doesn't matter how many times it's said or written I know it will be questioned as desperations rise. It is unfortunate that we encounter the unexpected during planned release schedules, causing delays, but those schedules have to adjust to accommodate fixes lest we release those issues into the field.

If not McAfee, then another vendor. This too we are aware of, and the teams are working on getting the deliverables ready and polished just as soon as we can.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Is this patch 4 going to be released this month ? Is there a beta version out as yet?

Thanks guys !

Hi Secure-It22,

I've been told that VSE 8.8 P4 now has a RTS date of January 27th 2014, and an expected RTW date of February 24th 2014.   In case you are interested HIPS 8.0 P4 was also delayed, and now has a RTS date of January 20th 2014, and an expected RTW date of February 17th 2014.

I'm becoming seriously concerned by these delays.  

I've a case open with support since September and have been provided release candidates and RTS version of both patches since late October to see if they will address my issues, in which I can't even activate HIPS on a number of machines without them failing.  Add to that the conflict between DLP 9.3 and HIPS which again waits for P4 of either product.  Annoyingly the patches resolve the issues, but are again delayed.

These are suppose to be security products, and whilst I realise it is important that updates/releases/patches do work as intended - as security products they are no good to me if I can't actually use them in my environment. 

Hello Ichapman,

i appreciate the informative reply, i was told VSE 8.8 P4 would be released in December by McAfee. These delays have a few of my Windows 8.1 machines at risk, since they are using freeware whilst we wait for P4 release. We can onl hope that these Patch updates are released before the said dates.

ICHAPMAN wrote:

I've been told that VSE 8.8 P4 now has a RTS date of January 27th 2014, and an expected RTW date of February 24th 2014.

This is what support has also advised me after inquiring for an ETA date. It is quite astonishing, considering Windows 8.1 went RTM in last August, and has been available to the public since mid-October. Other major security vendors already have support.

One would think the code challenges (as extreme as they can be for kernel-level filter driver products such as AV) from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 cannot surely be as complex as say Windows XP to Windows Vista?

Highlighted
snefi
Level 7
Message 36 of 71

Hello

I need install 2012R2 cluster and AD  and windows 8.1 and  office 2013 for 2xxx user.

So i need to change virusscan to Symantec.

THX Mcafee

I have the exact same problem... good to know our support pays for unsupported products....

Time to investigate other products I think.

Reliable Contributor brentil
Reliable Contributor
Message 38 of 71

It apparently pays for Mac OS X support months before the official release, which infuriates me to no end.

If you're going to take this long to support these products compared to the competition I expect some transparency.  I don't want vague messages of "we ran into issues" I want to know exactly why there are issues.  Are other vendors providing sub-par coverage comparatively or is McAfee having internal issues.  Why do the consumer level products have support already for W8.1 but we don't?

I'm still livid there has been no official response as to the root cause of the GTI failure recently and what was done to prevent it from happening again.  Telling me "everything is ok now" is not an answer that builds confidence.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 39 of 71

Hi All,

Patch 4's release dates (as mentioned earlier) are:

Jan 27 for our managed release.

Feb 24 is when the patch will be posted to the download site for general availability.

The managed release is what some people might term our "early" release but that's not an accurate term. And I don't mean because of the schedule changes .

During the managed release, we in Support provide the patch to select customers (read: Platinum) and to those who report issues where investigation confirms they are solved by the Patch. And for any who receive the patch during this period we follow up with that party for feedback, that issue(s) are solved, their observations and other feedback etc. The general availability date is the date most folks can look forward to for receiving the patch.

The concerns regarding Windows 8.1 are a shared concern. We are proposing a stop-gap solution for protecting Windows 8.1 systems. This stop-gap solution will eventually be replaced by a permanent solution when VSE 8.8 patch 4 is released. See above for target dates of patch 4.

The proposed stop-gap solution is to deploy VSE 8.8 Patch 3 on Windows 8.1 systems. The following points need to be understood/accepted before utilizing this stop-gap solution:

• McAfee’s plan has always been to certify VSE patch 4 on Windows 8.1 therefore we have not performed comprehensive end to end tests with VSE Patch 3 on Windows 8.1and Server 2012 R2 systems.
  • This is a temporary solution; installations of VSE 8.8 Patch 3 on Windows 8.1 should be replaced by VSE 8.8 patch 4 when it is released.
  • Please sign up for McAfee Support Notification Service to receive up to date information on product
William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

wwarren,

I realise it's only just after the New Year, but currently does it appear Patch 4 will meet the dates provided above?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community