Unexpected behavior means you'll experience issues that could range from the obvious (BSOD) to the excrutiatingly subtle (sporadic timing issues), all due to the installed technology not supporting the operating system you're running it on. If you want me to tell you what those are I'm afraid I don't have that info, I can only say what to expect since using anything less than 8.8 Patch 4 on Windows 8.1 is unsupported.
VSE 8.8 Patch 4 is required to support Windows 8.1 - though it doesn't matter how many times it's said or written I know it will be questioned as desperations rise. It is unfortunate that we encounter the unexpected during planned release schedules, causing delays, but those schedules have to adjust to accommodate fixes lest we release those issues into the field.
If not McAfee, then another vendor. This too we are aware of, and the teams are working on getting the deliverables ready and polished just as soon as we can.
I've been told that VSE 8.8 P4 now has a RTS date of January 27th 2014, and an expected RTW date of February 24th 2014. In case you are interested HIPS 8.0 P4 was also delayed, and now has a RTS date of January 20th 2014, and an expected RTW date of February 17th 2014.
I'm becoming seriously concerned by these delays.
I've a case open with support since September and have been provided release candidates and RTS version of both patches since late October to see if they will address my issues, in which I can't even activate HIPS on a number of machines without them failing. Add to that the conflict between DLP 9.3 and HIPS which again waits for P4 of either product. Annoyingly the patches resolve the issues, but are again delayed.
These are suppose to be security products, and whilst I realise it is important that updates/releases/patches do work as intended - as security products they are no good to me if I can't actually use them in my environment.
i appreciate the informative reply, i was told VSE 8.8 P4 would be released in December by McAfee. These delays have a few of my Windows 8.1 machines at risk, since they are using freeware whilst we wait for P4 release. We can onl hope that these Patch updates are released before the said dates.
I've been told that VSE 8.8 P4 now has a RTS date of January 27th 2014, and an expected RTW date of February 24th 2014.
This is what support has also advised me after inquiring for an ETA date. It is quite astonishing, considering Windows 8.1 went RTM in last August, and has been available to the public since mid-October. Other major security vendors already have support.
One would think the code challenges (as extreme as they can be for kernel-level filter driver products such as AV) from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 cannot surely be as complex as say Windows XP to Windows Vista?
It apparently pays for Mac OS X support months before the official release, which infuriates me to no end.
If you're going to take this long to support these products compared to the competition I expect some transparency. I don't want vague messages of "we ran into issues" I want to know exactly why there are issues. Are other vendors providing sub-par coverage comparatively or is McAfee having internal issues. Why do the consumer level products have support already for W8.1 but we don't?
I'm still livid there has been no official response as to the root cause of the GTI failure recently and what was done to prevent it from happening again. Telling me "everything is ok now" is not an answer that builds confidence.
Patch 4's release dates (as mentioned earlier) are:
Jan 27 for our managed release.
Feb 24 is when the patch will be posted to the download site for general availability.
The managed release is what some people might term our "early" release but that's not an accurate term. And I don't mean because of the schedule changes .
During the managed release, we in Support provide the patch to select customers (read: Platinum) and to those who report issues where investigation confirms they are solved by the Patch. And for any who receive the patch during this period we follow up with that party for feedback, that issue(s) are solved, their observations and other feedback etc. The general availability date is the date most folks can look forward to for receiving the patch.
The concerns regarding Windows 8.1 are a shared concern. We are proposing a stop-gap solution for protecting Windows 8.1 systems. This stop-gap solution will eventually be replaced by a permanent solution when VSE 8.8 patch 4 is released. See above for target dates of patch 4.
The proposed stop-gap solution is to deploy VSE 8.8 Patch 3 on Windows 8.1 systems. The following points need to be understood/accepted before utilizing this stop-gap solution:
McAfee Service Portal customers please use your existing username and password to log into the community.