cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 4 - coming soon...

Can you please provide information regarding what BSOD stop codes are being addressed in the Patch?  -- or supply a shortcut to preliminary / beta release notes?

I am doing a large scale investigation into stop error codes we are seeing in our environment and any additional resources of known issues that are scheduled to be addressed would be more than appreciated, and save me a few phone calls.

Highlighted

Hello warren,

Just wanted to know if repost patch supports win 2012 r2 and when the release for patch 4 is to be expected.

Highlighted

Hi,

I understand there is no upgrade from an un-patched version of VSE 8.8 to VSE 8.8 P4 but my understanding is that you can still upgrade from VSE 8.7i P5 to VSE 8.8 P4, can anyone confirm this is still true?

Regards

Stef

Highlighted
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 24 of 71

i dont see any patch 4 download available yet? when is this going to be released?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 25 of 71

We've found cause to hold the patch from releasing a bit longer. I can share more details when dates have settled for us, but you can be confident the patch won't be available this month.

And there's obvious need of making it available ASAP due to the Windows 8.1 support requirement. We are mindful of that.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
Highlighted
Level 12
Message 26 of 71

Yep exactely why i need to know when this is being released. Are 8.1 machines still protected by VSE Patch 3?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 27 of 71

minion wrote:

Yep exactely why i need to know when this is being released. Are 8.1 machines still protected by VSE Patch 3?

If you tried to throw Patch 3 on there you'll get some unexpected/undesirable behavior. There were unique additions required for 8.1 support.

Our platinum customers ought to keep in touch with their Support Account Managers for details on patch 4 availability, and our gold customers (and platinum too of course) can stay apprised of the release via the Support Notification Service (SNS). I'll try to keep this thread updated too with respect to the GA release date.

Let me answer some other questions that were raised too -

Q. I understand there is no upgrade from an un-patched version of VSE 8.8 to VSE 8.8 P4 but my understanding is that you can still upgrade from VSE 8.7i P5 to VSE 8.8 P4, can anyone confirm this is still true?

A. You can still ugprade from 8.7i P5.

Q. Just wanted to know if repost patch supports win 2012 r2 and when the release for patch 4 is to be expected.

A. Yes. Stay tuned for release dates.

Q. Can you please provide information regarding what BSOD stop codes are being addressed in the Patch?

A. Knowing the stop codes doesn't really help you. Knowing it addresses reported BSOD issues (which it does) is more helpful. A problem with a kernel driver could manifest in a variety of bugcheck codes depending on the execution path and particular logic flaw and/or timing. So, it's best to abide the anxiom "If you encounter a BSOD always check you have the latest code from your vendor".

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
Highlighted

What is the unexpected/undesirable behavior? We have Win 8.1 machines in production and would expect our anti-virus to be able to handle it. Same comment applies to Win 2012R2 but even IE10, IE11 and Office 2013 are also unsupported with patch 3? It doesn't inspire confidence given how long ago those products have been released to the world by Microsoft.

That we should not expect Patch 4 to arrive in December, does that mean January? or even later?

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 29 of 71

thomas.petersen wrote:

What is the unexpected/undesirable behavior? We have Win 8.1 machines in production and would expect our anti-virus to be able to handle it. Same comment applies to Win 2012R2 but even IE10, IE11 and Office 2013 are also unsupported with patch 3? It doesn't inspire confidence given how long ago those products have been released to the world by Microsoft.

That we should not expect Patch 4 to arrive in December, does that mean January? or even later?

We have a couple Windows 8.1 machines in our testing environment that are running 8.8 P3 because we assumed that was the expected route because we have not seen anything different via SNS communications.  I even put in cases regarding the support of Windows 8.1 with VSE, SAE, & HIPS and at no point was I informed of how to support the Windows 8.1 besides to wait for an unknown amount of time as there was no defined ETA for the VSE or HIPS patches and that there was currently no active patch in works for SAE for IE11.

We're a research University with a very dynamic set of system needs depending on what research is being done.  We also have a decent number of BYOC systems as well that we are quickly becoming incapable of supporting because Windows 8.1 isn't supported.

Highlighted

@Wwarren: can you please elaborate on what you mean by "If you tried to throw Patch 3 on there you'll get some unexpected/undesirable behavior". What are the problems on Windows 8.1 and how can they be mitigated (apart from waiting forever for Patch 4)?

It is unacceptable in most companies to be unprotected against viruses, including mine, so it is either McAfee or another vendor who supports Windows 8.1 / Windows Server 2012R2 / Outlook 2013 / IE11 / IE10

Message was edited by: thomas.petersen on 07/12/13 08:38:58 CST
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community