McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 31 of 63

Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 2

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Latest news...

The patch is staged and ready to get pushed publicly (i.e. posted to our download site, service portal, and Software Manager for ePO 4.6 users), but we first have to tie a loose end or two where some internal reports of "odd behavior" need to be looked into. It's probably benign but we need to be certain about these things.

Patch 2's readme documentation will be available in article PD23934, and the "Known Issues" for Patch 2 will be tracked in article KB74569 - which will be made public just as soon as we release the patch.

As psolinski notes, KB74569 has the data attached to it but this is temporary.

In other news, the schedule information about Patch 3 is in need of some adjustment; when I have a clearer timeline to share I'll update the article mentioned above (KB65944, a "Hot Topics" article I intend to maintain)

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 32 of 63

Jump to solution

Thx for the initiative to keep us updated.

and KB65944..great idea!

GrtZ

Highlighted
Level 12
Message 33 of 63

Jump to solution

Just received the SNS that it has been released:

VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 Patch 2 is now available. This release includes new features, fixes, and enhancements including:

• Lotus Notes compatibility for 8.5.x
  • Additional logging during Patch installation
  • Various fixes for field-reported issues, ranging from BSODs to Updates using excessive bandwidth, and CPU spikes.

To download Patch 2, go to the McAfee downloads site at: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/downloads.aspx.  

You can view the Release Notes at: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD23934.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Not trying to be difficult, but need some clarification..

patch 2 is out...but it may have some issues...so should we start testing, or wait for clarification, and if clarification, how will we know it`s "ok" or not...

How likely is Patch 2 to be pulled if there are issues found, or will those issues be addressed by a future hotfix, if required?

Thanks for the awesome work

Highlighted

Jump to solution

You've asked a lot of fundamentally unanswerable questions... which I am not trying to answer. However, let me say this: McAfee didn't release this now because we thought it was buggy. We delayed it in the past because it wasn't ready. And we released it now because we believe it is ready. There's no internal date internally where someone doesn't get paid if a patch doesn't get released on time. Sure, we try to target certain dates on the calendar but if the patch isn't ready, we don't ship.

Should you feel uncomfortable with any new release, then I'd encourage you or any other customer to just hold on a bit. If you have a specific issue address by the patch, then please test it on a few machines. Find out if your specific issues are addressed. If you aren't having specific issues then follow your regular adoption schedule of patches. How long do you wait before normally testing patches? A week? A month? A quarter? Do that here, too.

I don't think anyone working with Virus Scan Enterprise (note emphasis) is expecting any customer to perform a full roll out of our products when they are immediately released. Enterprise customers don't adopting change like that. And that would be considered reckless by almost 100% of my customers. However, the product is fully supported. That's why it is released to the world (instead of its previous status of limited Release to Support).

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 36 of 63

Jump to solution

wwarren wrote:
At this time, close! We RTS'd later than expected and are aiming to hold a shorter RTS period, to bring the RTW date in to Sep 4.

All depends if we have enough feedback in that timeframe... and our recent DAT issue may have blown that possibility for us... we'll see!

Thx for keeping us in the loop 🙂

Good luck releasing it without SNS warnings to retract it!

Thx

edited by: zeb - typo on 8/31/12 3:20:30 AM CDT
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 37 of 63

Jump to solution

@zeb+++FakeTicker+++ VSE 8.8 Patch 2 has been pulled because it's generating a massive amount of ID 516 messages +++FakeTicker+++

the last week have been hard for mcafee...

release notes / a readme before the actual release would be nice...

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 38 of 63

Jump to solution

Can anyone confirm (or deny) that the 8.8 Patch2 RTW version will or will not run on XP/ W7 or will it only run on W8?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Patch 2 will run on W7,Xp 2003, 2008 and all other currently supported platforms for VSE. as wwarren said, it will also run on Windows 8 althought it will not be supported (because Windows 8 is not released yet). Support for Windwos 8 will come in VSE 8.8 patch 3 as wwarren said.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 40 of 63

Jump to solution

As W8 has RTM yesterday and availability to us will be Aug 15th for MSDN and then Aug 16th for Volume Licensing can we request access to the Patch 2 via a support ticket to begin evaluation testing both software systems?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community