The patch is staged and ready to get pushed publicly (i.e. posted to our download site, service portal, and Software Manager for ePO 4.6 users), but we first have to tie a loose end or two where some internal reports of "odd behavior" need to be looked into. It's probably benign but we need to be certain about these things.
Patch 2's readme documentation will be available in article PD23934, and the "Known Issues" for Patch 2 will be tracked in article KB74569 - which will be made public just as soon as we release the patch.
As psolinski notes, KB74569 has the data attached to it but this is temporary.
In other news, the schedule information about Patch 3 is in need of some adjustment; when I have a clearer timeline to share I'll update the article mentioned above (KB65944, a "Hot Topics" article I intend to maintain)
Just received the SNS that it has been released:
VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 Patch 2 is now available. This release includes new features, fixes, and enhancements including:
To download Patch 2, go to the McAfee downloads site at: http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/downloads.aspx.
You can view the Release Notes at: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD23934.
Not trying to be difficult, but need some clarification..
patch 2 is out...but it may have some issues...so should we start testing, or wait for clarification, and if clarification, how will we know it`s "ok" or not...
How likely is Patch 2 to be pulled if there are issues found, or will those issues be addressed by a future hotfix, if required?
Thanks for the awesome work
You've asked a lot of fundamentally unanswerable questions... which I am not trying to answer. However, let me say this: McAfee didn't release this now because we thought it was buggy. We delayed it in the past because it wasn't ready. And we released it now because we believe it is ready. There's no internal date internally where someone doesn't get paid if a patch doesn't get released on time. Sure, we try to target certain dates on the calendar but if the patch isn't ready, we don't ship.
Should you feel uncomfortable with any new release, then I'd encourage you or any other customer to just hold on a bit. If you have a specific issue address by the patch, then please test it on a few machines. Find out if your specific issues are addressed. If you aren't having specific issues then follow your regular adoption schedule of patches. How long do you wait before normally testing patches? A week? A month? A quarter? Do that here, too.
I don't think anyone working with Virus Scan Enterprise (note emphasis) is expecting any customer to perform a full roll out of our products when they are immediately released. Enterprise customers don't adopting change like that. And that would be considered reckless by almost 100% of my customers. However, the product is fully supported. That's why it is released to the world (instead of its previous status of limited Release to Support).
At this time, close! We RTS'd later than expected and are aiming to hold a shorter RTS period, to bring the RTW date in to Sep 4.
All depends if we have enough feedback in that timeframe... and our recent DAT issue may have blown that possibility for us... we'll see!
Thx for keeping us in the loop 🙂
Good luck releasing it without SNS warnings to retract it!
Thxedited by: zeb - typo on 8/31/12 3:20:30 AM CDT
@zeb+++FakeTicker+++ VSE 8.8 Patch 2 has been pulled because it's generating a massive amount of ID 516 messages +++FakeTicker+++
the last week have been hard for mcafee...
release notes / a readme before the actual release would be nice...
Patch 2 will run on W7,Xp 2003, 2008 and all other currently supported platforms for VSE. as wwarren said, it will also run on Windows 8 althought it will not be supported (because Windows 8 is not released yet). Support for Windwos 8 will come in VSE 8.8 patch 3 as wwarren said.
As W8 has RTM yesterday and availability to us will be Aug 15th for MSDN and then Aug 16th for Volume Licensing can we request access to the Patch 2 via a support ticket to begin evaluation testing both software systems?