akl71
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 46

Re: VSE 8.8 Patch 1 - taking security up a notch

wwarren schrieb:

Hi Everyone,

Here's a thread to potentially spur some discussion

In the coming release of Patch 1 for VSE 8.8, we will be introducing a new Access Protection rule that will be enabled by default.

The rule protects certain McAfee processes from DLL injection, which is a technique used by malware that allows the ill-intentioned code to then run inside a McAfee process. And since certain security measures "Trust" our own McAfee processes, the malware is then allowed to perform some pretty darstedly deeds... like terminating a scanner.

With the new AP rule, this technique will not be possible - for certain critical processes of ours, like scanners.

But this DLL injection technique is used by many a legitimate 3rd party application too. Often leveraging it to gain insightful information about the processes they inject into, perhaps for application metering, usage monitoring, encryption, and more. Those legitimate applications will be prevented from injecting into our process...

I hope with this AP rule we can get rid of those mfehidk-Warnings with VSE8.8 installed?

wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 12 of 46

akl71 wrote:

I hope with this AP rule we can get rid of those mfehidk-Warnings with VSE8.8 installed?

Yes, it will. They will no longer occur because the 3rd party will no longer be able to inject our VSTSKMGR or scanner processes.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
robpow
Level 10
Message 13 of 46

What 3rd party applications have you noticed are interacting with the McAfee processes in question so far?

I recall seeing lots of AP events from WSRM.exe which seems to have a penchant for attaching to running processes with a read/write handle.

Matt

wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 46

robpow wrote:

What 3rd party applications have you noticed are interacting with the McAfee processes in question so far?

I recall seeing lots of AP events from WSRM.exe which seems to have a penchant for attaching to running processes with a read/write handle.

Matt

There have been less than 10 by my count. Citrix has been the most popular, injecting no less than 12 of their DLLs into our processes.

The frequency with which you see our Event log entries, warning of the 3rd party code inside our process, is dependent on how active the 3rd party code is. Every time their code does something, it runs through our validation code - we see it's not our code that's executing, and log an event.

Blocking the 3rd parties from injecting our process will put an end to those events.

What we don't know is how those 3rd parties will then react. We expect they'll fail gracefully, but it's up to you to verify their behavior and make sure it's "OK" for you to have our new AP rule enabled. Just remember it's an essential rule to have enabled if you wish to be protected against the latest of malware threats.

psolinski
Level 10
Message 15 of 46

When can we expect 8.8 P1 ?

apoling
Level 14
Message 16 of 46

I was told Managed Release is planned on 18th August. RTW is way later.

wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 17 of 46

We are reworking the schedule as I type, actually. This new set back will likely put us toward end of August perhaps into September for the RTS release date.

Keep in mind the general availability release (where we post the patch to the web) is expected about 4 weeks later.

This has some impact too for the 8.7i hotfix we were planning to release Aug 11 - it's expected the release of that fix will now be toward end of August also.

In the interest of quality we will keep these fixes as long as we need to, so we hope it's understood that any delay on our part is because assessment of the issue warranted the time needed to address it.

psolinski
Level 10
Message 18 of 46

Thanks William,

Can you confirm that this issue will be fixed in the Patch 1:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71660

Apart of mfehidk warnings issue we also experience scriptscan errors as wek keep ss disabled due to performance issues. Unregistering the DLL helps.

Is P1 readme already available?

Regards

Piotr

wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 19 of 46

Can you confirm that this issue will be fixed in the Patch 1:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71660

Patch 1 will address that issue.

The readme is not expected to be added to the KB until the managed release begins, end of August being the expected timeframe there.

online83
Level 9
Message 20 of 46

Hi,

are there any updates regarding RTW date of Patch 1?

regards

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community