cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSE 8.8 P10 and P11, profiler 1.3

Jump to solution

Greetings,

Today we realised that profiler 1.3 does not record action count correctly anymore (there is even negative count in the report), it also does not classify process correctly and truncate file or path name.

Is there a known issue regarding some microsoft patch that could have rescently changed something for the profiler?

Most VSE are 8.8 P10 no hotfix and P11 with hotfix 1230882.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

Re: VSE 8.8 P10 and P11, profiler 1.3

Jump to solution

@eric_lauzon Use cases between ProcMon and Profiler is purely a matter of preference and the intended goal. If you're just looking for potential exclusions, Profiler is easier to use and read for most users and will cleanly achieve your goals. However, if you're needing more advanced details and information, or are looking for injectors, etc, then ProcMon is better suited and it will give you all system user mode activity. Profiler tends to be an information gatherer to determine what is being scanned (potentially in excess) during a period/during certain actions and will give you only McAfee scanner interactions/activity.

Does this help better clarify?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

4 Replies
McAfee Employee sbenedix
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

TBH, I use and encourage everyone to use ProcMon. If you have identified some problem with the profiler, raise it with Technical Support so it can be investigated and the tool be improved (if its readily reproducible even better).

Thank you.

Jump to solution
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution
The profiler is not obsolete and still gets updated on a regular basis: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB69683
Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

@eric_lauzon Use cases between ProcMon and Profiler is purely a matter of preference and the intended goal. If you're just looking for potential exclusions, Profiler is easier to use and read for most users and will cleanly achieve your goals. However, if you're needing more advanced details and information, or are looking for injectors, etc, then ProcMon is better suited and it will give you all system user mode activity. Profiler tends to be an information gatherer to determine what is being scanned (potentially in excess) during a period/during certain actions and will give you only McAfee scanner interactions/activity.

Does this help better clarify?

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community