cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSE 8.8 P1 installed + Hotfix HF625756 = New Problems

Hi,

I have deployed Patch 1 for VSE 8.8 and Hotfix HF625756 to resolve the issue with the event log warnings ID 516 about VSTSKMGR.EXE. Now there is a new error, a pop up window, which says  that C:\winnt\system32\msi.dll is not a valid Windows File. Thats really bad, because the HF should be a solution/workaround for the event 516, which could be caused by MSI. There are no warnings for VSTSKMGR.exe anymore, but a new error about MSI. The warnings were only in the event log but now it's a pop up window, which annoys the user and the helpdesk.

We have removed the hotfix from the Master-Repository, but it's installed already on many clients.

What's the solution now? I can't do an uninstall manually on every client. An ePO based remove task should uninstall the hotfix.

Regards,

Denis

9 Replies
xenon1
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: VSE 8.8 P1 installed + Hotfix HF625756 = New Problems

Perhaps the Windows-XP SP3 System needs  Certificate Store Updates?

please read Solution-3....  https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71083

Cause:

• Microsoft Certificate Stores need updating
    The issue can be caused by Microsoft DLLs, which are expected to be trusted, but the trust validation routine returns a failure. This occurs when there is no corresponding or valid certificate for the file (this has been seen with MSI.dll from the MSI Installer 4.5.6001.22159).

Microsoft Certificate Stores need updating
To address this issue with regard to MSI.DLL, see Microsoft KnowledgeBase article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972397.

Tell me if and what works...

Hi Denis,

This issue is under research.

Until now we saw this issue only with German Win XP. You need to have MSI-Installer 4.5 and VSE 8.8 P1 + HF625756 or VSE 8.7 P5. In this combination you can see this error when you make a right click scan for file files or folders.

I just tested what xenon1 suggested: I downloaded the Hotfix from Microsoft, installed it on my Client - and it worked.

Keeping this in mind I'm not sure if our Engineering can really something do for you - it looks like an Microsoft issue.

best regards

Ralph

xenon1
Level 7
Message 4 of 10

I installed the Hotfix from Microsoft WindowsXP-KB972397-v2-x86-ENU.exe 

on Windows XP and it works. The msi.dll Error ist gone.... new Version instead:  4.5.6002.22172

ccroff
Level 9
Message 5 of 10

VSE may be exposing corruption in a protected system file "C:\windows\system32\msi.dll".

Please confirm if the resolutions is to use system file checker - sfc /scannow

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

Still not solved. The sfc /scannow didn't help. The msi.dll version is 4.5.6002.

What else could be done?

Any new suggestions?

Could it be caused by the License Information Bug in the Registry?

wwarren
Level 15
Message 8 of 10

pintaric wrote:

Any new suggestions?

Could it be caused by the License Information Bug in the Registry?

No, it won't be from the LicenseInformation issue - but - if your system has that problem it needs to be fixed.

If you are getting a pop up message when doing a rt-click scan, and the message cites msi.dll, then you have a problem with msi.dll.

It is failing a validation check.

However, it is plausible that the failure is due to a different DLL but somehow the validation check is saying msi.dll has the problem instead. Unlikely, but worth looking into.

What are the contents of these registry values for your system?

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows, AppInit_DLLs

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows, LoadAppInit_DLLs

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
Rainer
Level 7
Message 9 of 10

Hello,

we have the same problem with Windows XP (x86) clients and Windows server 2003 (x86).

I've installed the Microsoft hotfix and tried sfc /scannow, but nothing solved the problem.

At least I disabled the Access Protection Rule --> Common Standard Protection --> Prevent hooking of McAfee processes.

I reinstalled the VS and the EPO agent, deleted all the files in the registry (from McAfee) and installed the VS new.  --> no luck :-(

Can somebody please help!  :-)

Regards

Rainer

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10