Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayMan
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

VSE 8.8 BOP vs Adobe Reader X Protected Mode

Hi All,

I've recently been looking at deploying Adobe Reader X, but have had issues with the incompatibility of the VSE Buffer Overflow Protection & Adobe Reader X's protected mode.

I'd been told previously that this incompatibility issue would be fixed with VSE 8.8 however this doesn't seem to be the case.

The workaround of putting in a BOP exclusion for AcroRd32.exe isn't ideal as this will then exclude all older versions of Adobe Reader also, which is bad... Has anyone managed to get this working any other ways?

Thanks

8 Replies
mjmurra
Level 12
Message 2 of 9

Re: VSE 8.8 BOP vs Adobe Reader X Protected Mode

The Acrord32.exe exemption is the only workaround I know of, and the relevant McAfee technote hasn't been updated.

If there is a solution, I would be interested in also knowing it.

JayMan
Level 10
Message 3 of 9

Just realised the BOP exclusions can contain a full path, not just the executable name... Initiall testing of this seems to work (need to enclose the path in quotes).

This means we should be able to exclude only for Reader X by using the full path in the exclusion. Still not as good as the products working together properly, but better that excluding all AcroRd32.exe versions...

JayMan
Level 10
Message 4 of 9

So after further testing, things act a bit weird for me.

-Using AcroRd32.exe specified locally allows Reader X to open in protected mode

-Using AcroRd32.exe in the ePO policy allows Reader X to open in protected mode

-Using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" specified locally allows Reader X to open in protected mode

However....

-Using "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" in the ePO policy doesn't Reader X to open in protected mode, althought the exclusion is shown in the computers BOP settings. (from this point, if you open the exclusion list & re-click apply, Reader X opened properly... Presumably it'll break after a policy enforcement again though)

has anyone found a work around yet for this ?

Tony

JayMan
Level 10
Message 6 of 9

I've got a support case open for the full path exclusion not working via ePO.

Other than that... I've got nothing.

We are experiencing the same problem.  In a response in another thread:

VSE 8.8 and Acrord32.exe - is there a hotfix like vse8.7 613017 ?

it's said that the problem was supposed to be fixed with the 10.0.1 update, but I can assure you that it is not fixed.  As I reponded in that thread, Disabling BOP stops the conflict, but that is an unacceptable solution.  I would be happy if the exclusion worked consistently.

Highlighted
JayMan
Level 10
Message 8 of 9

My support case for the full path exclusions not working is with Teir 2 support. Havent heard anything from them for a while.

We did find what the problem was though, when applying a full path through the ePO policy, the agent adds some settings to the registry which breaks the exclusion. When applying from the VSE software directly these extra registry settings don't get put in.

For us, installing Reader 10.0.1 did fix the problem with BOP compatibility.

My reply to this thread may shed some light for you JayMan and DVestal

https://community.mcafee.com/message/182488#182488

Message was edited by: stamandster on 3/29/11 9:17:10 AM CDT
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community