cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4

Is it possible to have the readme file posted so we know what fixes are coming with this patch?

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 32 of 92

Yes, you'll find it in our knowledgebase if searching for "Patch 4"

Or you could search for the article ID, PD22748.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Is ServicePortal considered RTS and the enterprise download page considered RTW?

If not, what support level is required to get RTS patches?

Slingo
Level 7
Message 34 of 92

I think it's understandable that there is an RTS and RTW date. However, when the SNS message gives a date without specifying RTS or RTW, I think it's reasonable for us, as customers, to make the assumption that 'release date' means RTW. If it was an RTS date, I would expect the SNS system to mention that. This is especially true in my opinion because this patch has been significantly delayed.

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 35 of 92

Fair point, the SNS should have been more specific. Perhaps that is all that's needed should the need arise again.

The RTS phase of a patch's life is controlled by Tier 3 Support, it's a managed release. We deliver it to customers reporting issues solved by the patch, and to some Platinum  Support customers who have voiced their interest to be included in the managed release program. For those who wish to be included in the program we set expectation of some level of commitment and participation, to add value to the program, thus not all Platinum Support customers qualify. We try to be reasonable and flexible, of course .

If you are experiencing an issue solved by the patch, know that the patch will be released for general availability 9/28, the RTW date. If the issue requires a more urgent solution then Support should be contacted, that we may verify and diagnose the issue. Once confirmed, Patch 4 could then be provided as the solution to that issue.

If we would like to be considered for this release group, how would one go about doing that?

I put in a support request for patch 4 on Friday, and was told that RTS was delayed by at least 2 weeks.

Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4 (testing)

So, I got the patch 4 installed it on a few machines. So far, no new issues observed, but unfortunately, the issue it was supposed to fix (the reason I got it) is still not resolved. My problem is with a flood of 577 events in the Windows Security log. This problem was supposed to be addressed with the release of this patch, but parsing the release notes, there's no reference of such issue/resolution!?!

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67976

As per the article:

This issue is expected to be resolved with Patch 4 for VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i, and this message can be safely ignored until then.

William, I sent you a screen shot...

To answer some previous questions, I believe that to receive the RTS version, you need to have an open support case who's resolution depends on this patch release.

Dave.

robpow
Level 10
Message 39 of 92

David.G wrote:

...My problem is with a flood of 577 events in the Windows Security log...

I have an open incident for the exact same thing! Hopefully there will be one more incremental update to P4 before it's finally released to fix this.

Matt

Added quote on 9/1/10 4:48:49 AM CDT
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 40 of 92

I've been able to confirm the issue regarding the Event ID 577.

Patch 4 contains a solution to one of its causes, but that code path is executed only when admins are logged in. We still need to address the behavior for non-Admins.

I do not expect Patch 4 to be revised for this remaining symptom - we'll see; that's not entirely my call to make. What I expect is for the issue to be resolved, and for a hotfix deliverable to be made available for those that need it.

Many thanks to the folks who've been able to bring this to our attention.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community