Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 92

Re: VSE 8.7i Patch 4

Are we still on for the patch 4 release today?

Yes, the patch is still expected to release today.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

I'm waiting for Patch 4 as well I think they have it but it isn't released to the public yet.  I need it

hm.. it is still unavailable.... 😞

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 24 of 92

You won't see the patch be available anywhere today. Today is the RTS date, that is, the release to Support - my first posting explains this.

As yet we are waiting on the patch to be released to Support, but as yet it is still 8/26. We are expecting it today.

If you are expecting the patch to be posted somewhere, then you could only be referring to the RTW date, which is not expected until Sept 28.

San
Level 7
Message 25 of 92

Hi,

it is not good to see from McAfee that they do last minute delay etc. I really have concern over McAfee`s Quality/Testing department.

As you see same happen with EPO patch release also. What i want to ask then is why is it happen for them to deplay the patch or Patch posted with no proper testing(EPO case where they needed to remove Patch 2 & put Patch 3)

Highlighted
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 26 of 92

it is not good to see from McAfee that they do last minute delay etc. I really have concern over McAfee`s Quality/Testing department.

As you see same happen with EPO patch release also. What i want to ask then is why is it happen for them to deplay the patch or Patch posted with no proper testing(EPO case where they needed to remove Patch 2 & put Patch 3)

You might expect to get a variety of answers in response to such concerns, as each member of Support that you interact with could have their own opinions perhaps even sharing the same concerns. But there is one thing you can be sure of, and that is McAfee Engineering are not going to release a patch update when aware that it has business impacting issues.

The release cycle for a patch is very tight. There is little to no wiggle room or luxury of having the patch complete all tests, and verify that issues are resolved, then sitting on it for a few weeks just to make customers wait and foster some perception that the patch quality is higher because we sat on it for a while. No, when the patch tests etc are done then the patch is released, as scheduled.

One cannot predict when/where an issue will be found during the testing phase, so it is unfortunate to find something last minute.

If we say that time should be cushioned into the patch release schedule to cater for possible last minute issues, then we may find patches releasing 2 weeks earlier, 4 weeks earlier, or earlier still than the published date. That would seem odd.

For now the model followed by the engineering team is to stick to the schedule - and if quality issues warrant adjusting the schedule then the schedule will be adjusted and we'll do our best to keep you informed. Having to readjust the schedule is viewed as the exception.

Hmmm I came too looking for Patch 4 since the notice I received last week from Mcafee SNS Bulletin:

VSE 8.7i Patch 4 Revised Release Date

The release of VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 4 has  been rescheduled and now will occur on August 26, 2010, allowing additional time to ensure the highest quality patch release

dliddon beat me to it - I was going to say the exact same thing....

Andrew

Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 3:31 PM
To: Mease, Andrew
Subject: McAfee SNS Notice: VSE 8.7i Patch 4 Revised Release Date

The     release of VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i Patch 4 has been rescheduled and now     will occur on August 26, 2010, allowing additional time to ensure the     highest quality patch release.

I guess after all the FUN of Virusscan earlier this year extra testing and triple testing is warranted.. but at least get the communications right.  I was all ready with my coffee to browse through the readme file today

McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 30 of 92

Yes, I believe there is confusion because folks don't realize that our RTS date is not a public posting.

I think the solution will be to not speak of RTS and RTW dates, only the RTW date. Normally we do not say anything of the RTS date except to those customers who will be included in that program, but it is still true that the release date is/was Aug 26. Patch 4 is released to Support, it will not be released to the web until 9/28 (target).

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community