cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: VSE 8.7i Patch 1 has been pulled

Here is the TIER 3 statement:
A potential problem was reported by a small number of customers and the package was temporarily removed as a precautionary measure while Engineering investigates. We anticipate the VSE 8.7i Patch 1 package will again be available for download within a matter of a few days at the most.

The SAD part is McAfee failed to notify it's customers, even those with Platinum support were not notified of any potential problems.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones because I deployed it to a test group of XP/Vista machines and didn't run into any problems.

This community can help by hammering McAfee badly on their FAILURE to inform its customers on potential hazards associated. A prudent man would have at least informed their customer of potential risks.

McAfee, what the heck are you guys doing? Your hurting your own business by failing to inform your customers!

Uninstall without reboot

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Msiexec.exe /I {147BCE03-C0F1-4C9F-8157-6A89B6D2D973} MSIPATCHREMOVE={6D622ACA-CAEF-455E-A108-E2953C0683A0} /q

This seems to work but reboots the system, anyone know off the top of their heads the switch to add for no reboot?

RE: Uninstall without reboot

Perhaps I figured it out a

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Msiexec.exe /I {147BCE03-C0F1-4C9F-8157-6A89B6D2D973} MSIPATCHREMOVE={6D622ACA-CAEF-455E-A108-E2953C0683A0} REBOOT=R /q

I confirmed, this does work

I wrote this vbscript to remove Patch 1 on remote systems. It does not reboot them, is silent to the user. you need to have access to wmi on the remote system (Should be on by default) and you must have admin rights. Just type the computer name or IP of the system you want to remove it on. The first half of the script checks with a ping that the system is on. If anyone needs this in EXE format I can send or just use WINRAR. Just copy everything between the dashes to a notepad file and save it, then rename the extension from .txt to .vbs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
' Patch 1 Remover for Mcafee 8.7I
' Author Daniel VanMeter

function Ping(byval strName)
dim objFSO, objShell, objTempFile, objTS
dim sCommand, sReadLine
dim bReturn

set objShell = WScript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

'Set default return value
bReturn = false

'Create command line to ping and save results to a temp file
sCommand = "cmd /c ping.exe -n 3 -w 1000 " & strName & " > temp.txt"

'Execute the command
objShell.run sCommand, 0, true

'Get the temp file
set objTempFile = objFSO.GetFile("temp.txt")
set objTS = objTempFile.OpenAsTextStream(1)

'Loop through the temp file to see if "reply from" is found,
'if it is then the ping was successful
do while objTs.AtEndOfStream <> true
sReadLine = objTs.ReadLine
if instr(lcase(sReadLine), "reply from") > 0 then
bReturn = true
exit do
end if
loop

'Close temp file and release objects
objTS.close
objTempFile.delete
set objTS = nothing
set objTempFile = nothing
set objShell = nothing
set objFSO = nothing

'Return value
Ping = bReturn
end function
'
' Start the actual process---------
'
strExe = "cmd.exe /C %WINDIR%\system32\Msiexec.exe /I {147BCE03-C0F1-4C9F-8157-6A89B6D2D973} MSIPATCHREMOVE={6D622ACA-CAEF-455E-A108-E2953C0683A0} REBOOT=R /q"

strComputer = (InputBox("Mcafee 8.7I Patch 1 Remover." & vbNewline & " " & vbNewline & "Requirements:" & vbNewline & "1. Access to WMI on remote system." & vbNewline & "2. You must be logged in locally with an account that has admin rights on the remote system." & vbNewline & "3: Patch 1 for Mcafee 8.7I must be installed" & vbNewline & " " & vbNewline & "Please enter a computer name or IP below:" ,_
"Mcafee 8.7I Patch 1 Remover: Created by Daniel VanMeter"))

'if Cancel selected - exit
If (strComputer = "") Then Wscript.Quit

'ping the computername to see if it is accessible
bPingtest = ping(strComputer)

If bPingtest = FALSE Then
y = msgbox ("'" & StrComputer & "' is not accessible!" & vbCRLF _
& " " & vbnewline & "The system may be offline or the name" & vbCRLF _
& "may have been mispelled." & vbCRLF, _
vbCritical, StrComputer & " NOT RESPONDING")
Wscript.Quit
end IF

' Connect to WMI
set objWMIService = getobject("winmgmts://"_
& strComputer & "/root/cimv2")
' Obtain the Win32_Process class of object.
Set objProcess = objWMIService.Get("Win32_Process")
Set objProgram = objProcess.Methods_( _
"Create").InParameters.SpawnInstance_
objProgram.CommandLine = strExe

'Execute the program now at the command line.
Set strShell = objWMIService.ExecMethod( _
"Win32_Process", "Create", objProgram)

WScript.echo "Patch 1 Remover successfully ran on " & strcomputer & ". The computer may take a moment to uninstall the patch."
WSCript.Quit
' End of Example of a Process VBScript
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mal09
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 46 of 56

A Technote advising Patch 1 has been pulled due to a false detection issue is up now.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB65943

WTF?!

I can't believe they are advising to keep this patch installed when they know full well that it deletes windows system files and causes the OS to fail to boot on startup!

Seriously... this is the most retarded thing ever, im going to post this to BBC.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 48 of 56

NO you start with theregister, then the guardian steals their stories from there, then the bbc in about a week will steal the story from there.

when did you ever see an orginal story in the bbc tech section unless it was about how they were illegally using botnets :rolleyes:

Done happy
PhilR
Level 12
Message 50 of 56

Tweet it, in the hope that the McAfee execs are vain enough to do Twitter searches on their company name.

That's what I did, anyway 😄

Phil
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator