cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: VSE 8.7i Patch 1 has been pulled

Ridiculous.

This explains why it wouldn't install on any Windows 2000 servers, buggy as hell.

McAfee are a bunch of cowboys, now i have to get this uninstalled from 2500 of our client machines... great.
akl71
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 56

Patch installation also fails on our Win 2000 servers and after the first installation attempt systems are non compliant in ePO, fields for Module and DAT are empty.
Luckily we have no false positives with patch 1, runs fine on non Win 2000 systems (... ok installation of hotfix for the patch fails constantly)

I get the same problem, fails to be compliant on EPO.
Reliable Contributor twenden
Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 56

McAfee has just posted some info to the support login page about why the Patch 1 was removed. Below is what they say:

IMPORTANT: VSE 8.7i Patch 1 Update
Windows XP and Vista computers running VirusScan Enterprise v8.7i Patch 1 have sporadically reported that a false detection of W32/Generic.worm.aa occurs on some files. This appears to be associated with Patch 1 specifically, and not with VSE 8.7i.
To minimize customer impact, McAfee has temporarily removed Patch 1 from the ServicePortal and the download site. After we have identified the root cause of the problem and taken the appropriate steps to resolve this issue, we will repost VSE v8.7i Patch 1.
Customers should contact McAfee Support if they have questions regarding this issue, and check the McAfee ServicePortal for further updates. For more information, please see KB article KB65943.
wmode
Level 7
Message 15 of 56

I've just been told tomorrows dat (5638) will have a work around to prevent the false detections until root cause is determined and corrected for good. I was also told that today's dat (5637) would help but that has since been retracted.

I've had a few more systems become unbootable, this is really making for a difficult week.
Mal09
Level 12
Message 16 of 56

5639 will also contain some (further?) workaround/remediation commands... and the incremental dat is expected to be quite large (800Kb-900Kb) as a result.
jawuk
Level 7
Message 17 of 56

3 letters. F F S

thanks for the info on this forum though, its nice to have info like this as it is known.

I hold my breath that the 30 or so machines we have tested/pilot this on, have no issues tomorrow, before the DAT update. I have run 15 machines with ODS over thurs and friday with no issues though, giving them the benefit of the doubt it seems like this could be a very sporadic issue, and possibly hard to pick up during QA, i guess more thorough investigations on McAfees part will work out the precipitating and contributing factors, but my god, not good and very embarassing for them, and potentially us.

The way they handle this will be crucial.:rolleyes:

J

FYA...

McAfee has continued to isolate the issue causing systems with VSE 8.7i Patch 1 to detect W32/Generic.worm.aa on some system files. The incremental DAT files scheduled for release on Sunday, June 7 as part of the 5639 DAT Release will be larger than normal. The current expected size of the incremental DAT files is between 800 and 900 KB.

Please contact your Support Account Manager or McAfee Support if you have questions regarding this issue, and check the McAfee ServicePortal for further updates.

BACKGROUND (previously communicated)
A false detection of W32/Generic.worm.aa has been reported to occur sporadically on a small numbers of Windows XP and Vista computers running VirusScan Enterprise v8.7i Patch 1. This errant behavior involves an intermittent interaction with Patch 1 specifically and certain DAT signatures, and not with the VSE 8.7i release software. To minimize potential customer impact during root cause analysis, McAfee temporarily removed Patch 1 from the ServicePortal and the download site.
----------

McAfee Security Alert - Visit http://mysupport.mcafee.com
Mal09
Level 12
Message 19 of 56

Patch 1 has now been reposted.

So this is the re-re-post? happy
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community