Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jawuk
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 21 of 56

RE: VSE 8.7i Patch 1 has been pulled

Interesting that the issue was related to the Dats rather than 8.7 p1 explicitly, just the interaction of the two

That would explain why it wasnt picked up during alpha/beta/pilot.

J
PhilR
Level 12
Message 22 of 56

RE: VSE 8.7i Patch 1 has been pulled

Actually, the bug is in some "optimised" code in P1 and the DATs, which doesn't work properly, so the workaround was to remove the buggy feature from the DAT files...

Not really a proper fix, but it will do in the interim.

8.7 patch 1 with HF464768 installed

Hi,

i've just installed patch 1 with the latest HF464768 and it still causes a problem, the problem i'm having is that it causes Symantec backup exec 12 throughput speeds to slow down by half the normal speed, and backups are now over running, i've tested backing again without patch 1 and it works fine.

has anyone else had/still got this problem, and know how to sort other then just uninstalling patch1.

Thanks
Rich
Highlighted

RE: 8.7 patch 1 with HF464768 installed

That is VERY interesting.

The past couple of months, our backups (using Backup Exec 9) are having the same problem with the throughput slowing down and backups over running.

I will try to arrange to get Patch 1 uninstalled from a couple of our servers to do testing and let you know.

Might be a nice idea to log a call with McAfee on this too.

i have been in contact Mcafee, they just ask me make sure i install the lastest version of VSE 8.7i with patch1 and the HF, which i have done and i'm waiting for them to come back to me.

see this http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/329745.htm

Cheers for the document.

I will look into this and see if it is possible to create a script to run on a scheduled task that will stop the mcafee services during the backup period.

If this is successful, i will share it with you.
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 27 of 56

Settings in VSE can help drastically

Several things may help with performance significantly.
VirusScan Console > On-Access Scanner > All Processes > Scan Items:
0) Check 'When Writing to Disk'
1) Uncheck 'When Reading from Disk'
2) Uncheck 'Opened for Backup'
3) Uncheck 'On Network Drives'

I recommend (0) so as to ensure catching things as written to disk before others can subsequently read an infected file.

The first one (1) improves performance dramatically, especially with servers running heavy I/O. Typically there are anywhere from 4 to 8 reads to every write. Leave this process to an On-Demand Scan on a regular basis.
See Open File Manager issue (Event ID 7011)

The second one (2) may have significance in that changes were made to patch 1:
ISSUE:
The On-Access Scanner was not properly utilizing
the "Scan files opened for Backup" option.

RESOLUTION:
The Anti-Virus Filter driver has been rectified to
properly interpret the flag being sent from the
On-Access Scanner.
Which may indicate that the default settings (ON) may not have actually worked. Now that it is 'fixed' the default setting is actually reading and scanning all files read during backup, causing a significant slow down in performance. Shutting down this option should return more desirable performance.

The third one (3) can have significant impact on performance across the LAN or WAN if backing up other servers (PCs). This is especially true if the System State is getting backed up. Also important is the Open File Option (now included in BE 12.0 and up) caching and Backup-to-Disk options; causing issues which attempt to scan files on the other server and then again on the local drive where the files are cached until the backup is complete.

You might also want to exclude the Backup Exec folder containing the log files BE is creating during the backup.

As always, a great discussion: Virus Scan Policy Best Practices

Hope this is helpful.
Ron Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

RE: Settings in VSE can help drastically

You beat me to it, mcafee told me to do this late yesterday and i tested this on last night's Backup and it works like threat.

Thanks happy

I presume that was a Freudian Slip grin
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 30 of 56

So which setting(s) did they recommend changing?

Ron Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator