Report Inappropriate Content
Message 32 of 56

Great - Makes sense.

Thanks,
Ron Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 33 of 56

RE: Great - Makes sense.

Im locking this thread down now as the title is confusing for people who dont realise that patch 1 was re released again ages ago

MOD

RE: VSE 8.7i Patch 1 has been pulled

This is true.

Any machines where it has a false positive of Generic.Worm.AA deletes system files and then it fails to boot... causing a rebooting cycle over and over.

It has happened to 4 of our machines already.

Anyone know the command to uninstall the patch?

Tried using setup.exe /uninstall /qn but it doesnt work. Needs to be something like setup.exe /uninstall patch1.msp but cant get my head around it.

Theres no way im leaving this patch on my clients when it causes them to blue screen.

This patch is removable via Add or Remove Programs.

(This patch was installed by ePO in our environment)

Unfortunately we have 2500 clients.

I cant simply use add/remove programs on all of them.

I intend to use LANDesk to perform the uninstall on all machines remotely, but need the correct command for this.
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 38 of 56

Windows Installer 3.x and later now support the rolling back of Patches. This can be done one of two ways.

• For Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Vista, and Windows 2008 operating systems, the Patch can be removed manually via Add/Remove Programs if the user has administrative rights to the local system.
  • For all operating systems that support Windows Installer 3.x, a command-line option can be used to remove the Patch silently.

Example:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Msiexec.exe /I {147BCE03-C0F1-4C9F-8157-6A89B6D2D973} MSIPATCHREMOVE={6D622ACA-CAEF-455E-A108-E2953C0683A0} /q
Considerations:

1. The GUID information used here changes from one Patch to another. Always use the information in the Release Notes for the Patch that you are removing.
  2. Because the Patch is removed via MSIEXEC, the functions inside setup.exe, which normally prevent reboots from occurring during silent processes, are not executed. In order to prevent a possible automatic reboot from occurring after a Patch removal, simply add the REBOOT=R parameter to the command-line option above.
  3. Patch removal is an MSI reinstall function. When a Patch is removed, all features affected by the Patch are reset to installation defaults. Any features not modified by the Patch are left with their current settings.
  4. Update VirusScan after removing the Patch to ensure that the latest versions of the engine and DAT files are run.

Works great, thanks!

Have been on the phone to our support company who have in turn been speaking to McAfee.

The reason for the pull is due to the false positives of W32/Generic.Worm.AA in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\.

It then deletes these files, which then cause the PC to fail to boot and cycles over and over.
Highlighted

msiexec /x patch1.msp

reg, Henno.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center