Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tac
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

VSE 8.7 p3 or TOPS 5.0 for Windows Servers

We have 10 servers, including Exchange 2003, Blackberry 4.1, Citrix, Oracle 9.2 , ISA 2004.

All servers are Windows 2003 Standard and we do have one Windows 2000 Server Standard.

We are in the middle of deciding which way to go.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

THANKS.

7 Replies

Re: VSE 8.7 p3 or TOPS 5.0 for Windows Servers

Tac,

I suggest you go for the McAfee Total prtection for Endpoint Essentials (Virus Scan ENterprise) and not ToPS 5.0 simply because the Enterprise software has a better comptibility with the the third party software you mentioned. It has the folllowing features :-

1} Virus Scan Enterprise 8.7i w Patch3

2} Antispyware Enterprise 8.7i

3} Host Intrusion Prevention

4} Site Advisor.

5} E Policy Orchestrator. ( Management Console )

If you need further ifnormation, Please feel free to contact the McAfee Sales Department at 800 338 8754 Opt 4.

Sameer

Tac
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

Thanks sameer172006.

We are leaning more towards VSE for Servers and using TOPS for user workstations.

How do you feel about TOPS for users?

From what I have been reading on the forums it seems that VSE detects better than TOPS and TOPS seems to have alot of false positives.

Just wondering if maybe we should just do VSE for all our computers - Servers and Users.

I kinda like the reporting and able to see status of the computers in TOPS but I would imagine that you can do that with ePO.

Tac,

ToPS is a very good product however there are certain things with it which need to be fine tuned.

VSE is a proven and an amazing product. It has better detection, Better compatibility and overall a very good product. You can install it offline and you can also update it offline just by running the superdat packages available at the McAfee website. Unlike ToPS which requires Internet and without which it is unusable.

I would go for VSE on the complete network because ePO is the best management consoles out there in the market today and having the same product installed on all machines give sme a better control and visibility over my network.

So, VSE it is , Ofcourse in my opinion.

Sameer

Tac
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

sameer172006, Thank You very much for your opinion.

Do you know where I could find more technical info on ePO?

Not much on the website as far as specifications like does it need to be installed on a seperate server.

can it run on a server that is running another app such as blackberry enterprise server.

I'd also be very interested in getting a manual if there is one.

Tac,

This link should give you all the info you need.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/21000/PD21812/en_US/...

Revert for more information/clarification.

Sameer

Tac
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

sameer172006, thanks again for the info and link.

Tac,

I am glad that you got what you needed.

I request you to please mark the answer as correct/helpful as you feel and close the thread so that others can also use this as a ready reference .

Sameer