cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VSE 8.5i Patch 8 slowing down backupexec jobs by up to 80%

I deployed Patch 8 on the 11th March, via ePol orchestrator 4.0

since then I've had 2 of our backup jobs taking more than 80% longer to complete (10hrs now 16+ hrs) . Backup exec usually has a throughput for this job of ~880 MB/min - that has now dropped to 478 MB/min

These jobs are on different servers with different version of backup exec on Windows 2003 servers on LTO tape drives (one since tape drive, the other an autoloader).

both jobs are flat file share backups. (exchange and database, volume snapshots appear to be unaffected).

the only thing in common is VSE 8.5i Patch 8.

currently rolling back patch 8 on the server(s) but that requires a reboot, so will have to be done over the weekend some time.
16 Replies

RE: VSE 8.5i Patch 8 slowing down backupexec jobs by up to 80%

Have you checked that the policies were migrated properly ? - the backup processes need to be excluded from scanning as low risk processes.

I believe that there are known issues with policy migration and certain steps to be folowed.

Jim

thanks for the quick reply.

Policies were default and have not changed since EPO 4.0 installation way back last year.

backups were fine with Patch 6/7 up until the 11th of March. The only thing that's changed since then is the deployment of Patch 8.

I have however amended the policy to not scan during backup and disk reads (only disk writes) - so lets see how that goes.

NB. Roll-back of patch 8 fails - telling me my Domain admin account has insufficient privilges to stop the mcAfee processes :confused: (same admin account used to install and deploy patches)

Well I'm pretty surprised that you've not had problems before - if you don't exclude the CA Arcserve/Brightstore processes the the server utilisation should shoot up and throughput drop considerably.....I'm pretty certain that either McAfee or CA or both have an article about this....

Regarding your "rollback" issue - I think you need to change a default AV policy setting to allow McAFee processes to be stopped first and then attampt the rollback....

Jim
Danger
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 17

We have exactly the same problem. Since I have installed Patch 8, Symantec Backup Exec needs doubles time for a backup.
Any solutions.

Regards, Danger

Can anyone else confirm this reported behaviour with AV8.5 and either of these backup products (or others) ?

Can thos reporting the problems please confirm thet when the exclusion policies are checked the backup software processse have been properly excluded from scanning ?

Thanks,

Jim

Intresting...

I have also just upgraded to Patch 8 on the 13th. I haven't had a chance to see if this causes my backups to slow down. (Didn't get good backups this weekend had to rewire the entire data center happy

I will check my backups tomorrow morning and post the results. I am running Backup Exec 10, 11, 12 all within my Domain running McAfee VSE8.5 Patch 8/ EPO4 Patch 4 Agent 4 Patch 1.

What exclusions should I set for my Backup Exec Software from within McAfee? I couldn't find any articles from Symantec relating to anti-virus Exclusions.

Thank you,
-Brett
Danger
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 8 of 17

RE: Intresting...

For my case, I found the problem. See McAfee knowledgebase https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53865&actp=search&searchid=1237210736850

In my template was the flag on. Now I have set it to off and backup is running again normal.

Regards, Daniel

RE: Intresting...

That's really interesting - anyone know how McAfee knows that a file is being accessed for backup - as opposed to "normal" acess ?

Is this an O/S Api flag that McAfee expect the Backup S/W Vendors to use or do you need to declare your backup programs somehow ?

Thanks,

Jim

No Change

I didn't experience a change in my backup speeds but I did already have the "Scan files opened for Backup" turned off.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community