cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 7 Results in NAPRDMGR.EXE Access Protection Log Entries

Hi,

I'm in the process of testing VSE 8.8 patch 7 (moving from patch 5) and I've noticed that since the upgrade my test machines are reporting the following entries in the access protection log:

23/03/201608:29:16Blocked by Access Protection ruleNT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMC:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MCAFEE\COMMON FRAMEWORK\NAPRDMGR.EXEC:\ProgramData\McAfee\datreputation\Logs\datreputation.txtMcAfee DAT Reputation:Prevent modification of McAfee DAT Reputation files and settingsAction blocked : Create
23/03/201608:29:16Blocked by Access Protection ruleNT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMC:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MCAFEE\COMMON FRAMEWORK\NAPRDMGR.EXEC:\ProgramData\McAfee\datreputation\Logs\notices.txtMcAfee DAT Reputation:Prevent modification of McAfee DAT Reputation files and settingsAction blocked : Create
23/03/201608:29:16Blocked by Access Protection ruleNT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMC:\PROGRAM FILES (X86)\MCAFEE\COMMON FRAMEWORK\NAPRDMGR.EXEHKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\MCAFEE\DATREPUTATION\McAfee DAT Reputation:Prevent modification of McAfee DAT Reputation files and settingsAction blocked : Write

At first I thought this might be due to the fact I was running an old DAT reputation extension, but upgrading to the latest one available (1.0.2.129) but upgrading to this hasn't cleared the issue. I believe I'm running the latest extension for VSE (8.8.0.448) too.  For information, the test machines are running McAfee Agent 4.8.0.1500.

I did read an article saying that if you've altered the Access Protection rule policy then the policy would not pick up the latest exclusions detailed in products extensions, but the entries still appear when i revert back to "McAfee Default" which I do expect to be updated.

The workstations don't seem to be suffering any ill effects as a result.  I could add manual exclusions but I'd really like to understand why a McAfee process is being blocked from writing to a McAfee file.

Anyone else seeing this issue?  Any ideas why it might be happening?

Thanks

MVC

2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 7 Results in NAPRDMGR.EXE Access Protection Log Entries

I've seen similar issues in access protection logs when upgrading from VSE 8.8 w/P5 (8.8.0.1385) to VSE 8.8 Patch 7.  Primarily I've seen it on a few XP systems we still have in our environment, but also a couple of W7 O/S's.  Our Helpdesk has reported that these few systems are generating thousands of alert emails.  The Access Protection Rule "Common Standard Protection: Prevent modification of McAfee Common Management Agent files and settings" is triggering "Action blocked: Write" alerts and references MFEVTPS.exe, NAPRDMGR.exe, VSTSKMGR.exe, MFEANN.exe, and SCAN32.exe.  I've tried  reference the "Installation Sequence Chart" here: McAfee KnowledgeBase - Intel Security - Security Bulletin: Protected resource access bypass vulnerab...  but all of the upgrade options start with VSE 8.8.0.1478 which isn't my scenario.

Highlighted

Re: Upgrade to VSE 8.8 Patch 7 Results in NAPRDMGR.EXE Access Protection Log Entries

It seems that this is caused by the fact I had DAT reputation disabled when DAT reputation was upgraded from 1.0.3 to 1.0.4.  Installing VSE 8.8 patch 7 doesn't cause the problem, it just exposes it.  Details can be found in KB86569, though I've had mixed results when testing the fix.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community