cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pierce
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

Upgrade to 8.8 went bad, now machine shows as having 2 VSE's... how to clean?

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Rolling out 8.8 and we have had 2 machines go bad. in the about field they show as having both VSE 8.7i and ASE 8.7 and also VSE 8.8.

Trying to remove from add-remove programs dosnt work (have given user full admin rights).

Also I have seen KB52648 and an article saying to run this command to clean the registry. REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Network Associates" /f

Has anyone else run into this issue? and if so what steps have you taken to clean up? If not looks like its going to be a re-build tomorrow for these two machines and fingers crossed it dosnt happen to any other machines (2 out of 865 so far).

Also error message the end users are getting is that mcshield.exe will pop up an error signature message box with every click they do. so links in IE or opening applications.

errormcshield.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
sgrimmel
Level 11
Message 9 of 12

Re: Upgrade to 8.8 went bad, now machine shows as having 2 VSE's... how to clean?

Jump to solution

A master list of removal related articles can be found under article KB53635 - Removing VirusScan Enterprise 8.x /AntiSpyware 8.x (Master Article)

11 Replies

Re: Upgrade to 8.8 went bad, now machine shows as having 2 VSE's... how to clean?

Jump to solution

Hi pierce,

I could suggest you to remove manually VSE 8.7 and VSE 8.8 and all of their traces and after that to install the VSE 8.8 again manually on these machines in question.

Please refer to these KB articles:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71179 - How to manually remove VirusScan Enterprise 8.8

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59996 - How to manually remove VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i

pierce
Level 13
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Thanks for the more detailed instructions on removing VSE I will certainly give that a try.

pierce
Level 13
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

Still have a machine with the software installed after running through the detailed removal instructions.

Any ideas of how to get rid of the software completely?

inachu
Level 7
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

LOL!  Yes I did that too and software was still on pc....

this begs Mcafee to make an enterprise class  8.x removal tool to totally strip any file created by Mcafee on the pc.

Sadly I have been asking for and I am sure I am not the only one who has asked for a tool to do it for us.

We techs DO NOT HAVE THE TIME TO TINKER.  I need to remove 600 8.7i within 3 days.

Now how does Mcafee want me to do this manually?   This will not work in the real world.

But I should add that when it works it works great!...just to be fair.

pierce
Level 13
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

Hey inachu,

Have you tried 8.8 Patch 1? This has improvements over the previous version upgrade process as so far with my limited upgrades from 8.7 to 8.8P1 I have not had any issues.

I would also recommend disabling HIPS7 if you have it installed for the duration of the upgrade to help make things run as smooth as possible.

In the end McAfee did provide us a tool to remove most of the VSE junk as a last resort step, it was called uninstall_5_14.exe and created a SuperDAT.log file (i didnt request it so cant provide more details than that).

And the above issue only occured on 10% of machines so your not looking at a 100% faliure rate if that makes you feel any better 🙂

Jump to solution

Could not agree more that we need an automated tool.   After my VSE 8.8 P1 roll out,  I had a lot (100+) machines showing two objects in ePO that acted as one.  They thought they had two copies of VSE installed.   Most have resolved with using uninstall tasks.   I still have 800 + machines with VSE 8.8 P1 reported installed that also report other versions of AntiSpy installed, either 8.7 or 8.5.   Automated attempts to clean up are not working. 

A tool that completely strips everything except the MA would extremely useful.

pierce
Level 13
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Hey Herb Smith, you should put this under the ideas section as well, post the link back here and I will vote it up!

Highlighted
sgrimmel
Level 11
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

A master list of removal related articles can be found under article KB53635 - Removing VirusScan Enterprise 8.x /AntiSpyware 8.x (Master Article)

Jump to solution

How did you notice that?

I mean what are the evidences of the presence of VSE?

Did yo manage to perform all of the steps from the KB articles successfully?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community