Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Upgrade from VSE 8.8 patch 9 to 14

Jump to solution

Hello,

Can you please confirm if upgradeing VSE 8.8 patch 9 to patch 14 would be am acceptibale path? Or do we have to, for example, upgrade to VSE 8.8 patch 12 first?

Also, am i correct to assume you can only have 1 patch for a branch type. So for example, if we have VSE 8.8 patch 12 in evaulation mode, and then we add VSE patch 14 (also in evaluation mode), patch 14 will superceed patch 12 and apply to all servers allocated to the evaluation branch.

many thanks

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Re: Upgrade from VSE 8.8 patch 9 to 14

Jump to solution

Hi @ghtr 

You would need to upgrade to VSE p10 first.

The same can be seen in the release notes: https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/virusscan-enterprise-v8-8-14-release-notes/resource/prod-virusscan-en...

(take a look at page 4)

You are also correct in regards to the branches. You can only have one patch version per branch. So yes,  you would need to place patch 10 into one branch, then patch 14 in another and you'd need to change your McAfee Agent policy to take the updates from the respective branch.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

As long as your systems don't have a policy assigned to update from a branch which contains a higher version of VSE, they won't update. Of course if there is no patch within a branch, then there is nothing for VSE to update the systems with. When you run a product update task, there is a script which runs and checks the currently installed version vs. the version that is in the defined branch. If the version is same or higher, then no update will happen. If however there is a higher version in the defined branch than installed on the machine, the patch update will be attempted.

Hope that makes sense 🙂

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

6 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi @ghtr 

You would need to upgrade to VSE p10 first.

The same can be seen in the release notes: https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/virusscan-enterprise-v8-8-14-release-notes/resource/prod-virusscan-en...

(take a look at page 4)

You are also correct in regards to the branches. You can only have one patch version per branch. So yes,  you would need to place patch 10 into one branch, then patch 14 in another and you'd need to change your McAfee Agent policy to take the updates from the respective branch.

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Thanks

If we have systems on patch 12 ('VSE Patching' Evolution Branch), and we then apply a tag which points systems to a Previous Branch, would those systsms stay on patch 12 if no patch was assigned to the Previous branch?

We are trying to stage our estate to patch 14 via anumber of steps and would like to use Previous Branch as a buffer rather than downgrading any patches.

Hope that makes sense 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

As long as your systems don't have a policy assigned to update from a branch which contains a higher version of VSE, they won't update. Of course if there is no patch within a branch, then there is nothing for VSE to update the systems with. When you run a product update task, there is a script which runs and checks the currently installed version vs. the version that is in the defined branch. If the version is same or higher, then no update will happen. If however there is a higher version in the defined branch than installed on the machine, the patch update will be attempted.

Hope that makes sense 🙂

Was my reply helpful?

Level 9
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

It certainly does.. many thanks 

Highlighted
Level 9
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello,

Can you confirm if upgrading from patch 9 to patch 12 will require a reboot?

I cant see anything in the release notes but would like to double check

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/virusscan-enterprise-v8-8-12-patch-12-release-notes/resource/PD28074....

thanks

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi @ghtr 

Whilst it's not mandatory, it's strongly recommended. Here are the main reasons why: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB55962

Was my reply helpful?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community