Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pasca91
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Update Virusscan 8.8 patch 14 installation failed Error 1603

Hi,

I just updated my agent in 5.6.3.157 and my Virusscan in 8.8 patch 14. But some servers have an installation error 1603 and I don't knwo how to fix this error.

I put the log file as an attachment.

Thank you

1 Reply
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Update Virusscan 8.8 patch 14 installation failed Error 1603

Hi @Pasca91 

Thank you for sharing this with us. To find the reason for failure, you can look at the reason for failure - if it's return code 1603 as in your case, you can scroll to the top of the installation file and search for "return value 3" or as the log is in French: "renvoyée 3".  The first error you see is the reason for failure, in your case:

MSI (s) (CC:04) [11:46:14:722]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=Install_SysCore_AddAACStickyPolicy,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=Install_SysCore_AddAACStickyPolicy,CustomActionData=/INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\; /SUPPORTDIR=C:\windows\TEMP\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF})
MSI (s) (CC:44) [11:46:14:722]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\windows\Installer\MSI9D68.tmp, Entrypoint: Install_SysCore_AddAACStickyPolicy
=> enter custom action Install_SysCore_AddAACStickyPolicy()
Retrieved property from CustomAction Data: [CustomActionData is /INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\; /SUPPORTDIR=C:\windows\TEMP\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF} INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\]
Retrieved property from CustomAction Data: [CustomActionData is /INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\; /SUPPORTDIR=C:\windows\TEMP\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF} SUPPORTDIR=C:\windows\TEMP\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF}]
>> Copying file from C:\windows\TEMP\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF}\MfeVsAcH.exe to C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\MfeVsAcH.exe
>> Invoking MfeVsAch: "C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\MfeVsAcH.exe" AddAACStickyPolicy
!> Error - Could not add sticky AAC policy: -1
<= leave custom action Install_SysCore_AddAACStickyPolicy()
CustomAction Install_SysCore_AddAACStickyPolicy returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
MSI (s) (CC:04) [11:46:14:831]: Note: 1: 2265 2: 3: -2147287035
MSI (s) (CC:04) [11:46:14:831]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (CC:04) [11:46:14:831]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
Fin de l'action 11:46:14 : InstallExecute. Valeur renvoyée 3.

With this error code you could look for KB articles: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87176

Based on this, I would recommend you look at your root certs and check these ones are installed: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB91697

If these are installed then I would ask you to re-run the installation whilst collecting a Procmon Trace, then collect an MER from the machine and submit these two to Technical Support for further analysis.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community