cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update McAfee using usb drive

Jump to solution

Hello

Assume for this question that I have a pc that is not connected to the Internet, and there for cannot be updated through that method. How would I do an update using a usb drive? Where would I download the latest updates, and how would I upload them on the pc?

Thanks

Stephen Keating

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rmetzger
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 10

Re: Update McAfee using usb drive

Jump to solution

Hi Stephen,

OK, because you started this thread in the 'Business' arena, I will assume you are referring to VirusScan Enterprise and not the consumer/retail version.

(edit: thanks, ex-brit asked any you answered, so no assumptions needed.)

The XDat file is probably the easiest way to update disconnected systems (assuming that this system is also not managed by ePO):

McAfee, Inc. - Downloads - Virus Protection - DAT Files

Download the ????XDat.exe file to your USB drive from a system that is connected to the Internet. Then run the update on the destination system. Because the XDat 'scripting' language is not particularly sophisticated, the updates may require a reboot, so plan on rebooting on request.

If an ePO server is available to the destination system, then that is the best solution.

Let us know if this helps.

Ron Metzger

9 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Which product are you trying to update in this manner?  If it's the home product that is not possible.

Jump to solution

VSE 8.8

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

Thank you.  I moved the thread to VSE.

Jump to solution

Thanks

rmetzger
Level 14
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Stephen,

OK, because you started this thread in the 'Business' arena, I will assume you are referring to VirusScan Enterprise and not the consumer/retail version.

(edit: thanks, ex-brit asked any you answered, so no assumptions needed.)

The XDat file is probably the easiest way to update disconnected systems (assuming that this system is also not managed by ePO):

McAfee, Inc. - Downloads - Virus Protection - DAT Files

Download the ????XDat.exe file to your USB drive from a system that is connected to the Internet. Then run the update on the destination system. Because the XDat 'scripting' language is not particularly sophisticated, the updates may require a reboot, so plan on rebooting on request.

If an ePO server is available to the destination system, then that is the best solution.

Let us know if this helps.

Ron Metzger

Jump to solution

Thank you for the info.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Actually on second thoughts, I think ePO is the better spot, so moved it there.

rmetzger
Level 14
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

skeating wrote:

How would I do an update using a usb drive?

Would primarily indicate a portable/non-network connected system. So, with that in mind, I think VirusScan Enterprise is the best forum. Of course, SKeating could clarify if an ePO server is available, in which case the ePO solution is the best and the best forum would be ePO.

Be happy.

Ron Metzger

Jump to solution

VSE is fine with me. You already have given me the answer.