cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained Asian-type characters under Alert Manager destination selection

When enabling the Alert method under Alert Properties, but not specifying a destination it initially would show "No Alert Manager Installed". But after some time, in my experience a day, this would be replaced with Asian-type characters. By disabling and then re-enabling the Alert method, brings back the "No Alert Manager Installed" message, but the Asian-type characters would return after a period again. I'm suspecting a virus, but do not know for sure. The machines exhibiting this do automatic Full Scans and Quick Scans and do not pick up anything. I am not noticing any other problems with the computers, at this stage.
5 Replies
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Unexplained Asian-type characters under Alert Manager destination selection

@User22839184 If you're ever in suspicion of an infection, it is recommended that you contact McAfee Support in order to speak with our Malware team for assistance in reviewing your system and collecting samples if needed.

However, do you have a screenshot of the behavior which your describing in order to provide more context?

Have you tried running GetSusp? KB69385

Also, the presence of symbols is not necessarily indication of malware, but could be an issue with the language pack coding of the software you're using. Especially if it's able to toggle back to accurate read-out, and only alters when idle for some time.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Hi Jess,

Thanks very much for your reply. I am starting to think you may be right in regards to the language config somewhere else in the system such as ePO(?). So I will investigate further down that path. As well as your other suggestions.

I'm trying to insert a screenshot of what we are experiencing in this reply, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious way I can do this.

McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

@User22839184 Screenshots can be added by clicking the camera icon that is located above the area where you enter the text for your post. You can also add attachments by clicking the paperclip icon that is below the text response area.

VSE Asian Character Issue.jpg

Thanks Jess. The camera icon only appears after I log on to reply. What misled me was that I was able to reply without logging on and did not get the camera icon then. But I don't get the paperclip icon either way. Above are the two instances I was referring to. The one on the left with the Asian-type characters and the right with just normal English.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee dvarnell
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

From what I can find, this appears to be an old localization issue without an exact known cause, and does not indicate there is an infection on the machine. I don't seem to have this issue on my test machine running VSE 8.8 P11 however.

Hope this helps!

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community