cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB / Removeable Media Auto scan

Hello all,

We are utilizing VS 8.0i and need to setup a PC so that when someone plugs a USB flash drive into it it will automatically scan the drive for any viruses. Is there any way to do it with the older current version we use? Or would we need to upgrade to a newer version to achieve this task?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt Gonzalez
11 Replies
MAS59
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 12

RE: USB / Removeable Media Auto scan

Hi

did you get any answer ??

we have the same issue.. we run a couble 8.0, a bunch of 8.5i and several pcs running 8.7i VSE Versions all of them with the latest pachlevel.

the company policy say`s: "scan immediate after plug jump drive"

thanx mike

I don't think this is currently possible with current versions.

Jim

Thats a pitty, I was hoping this post conatined the answer, I was looking to do the same thing.

Anyone got a second opinion?
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 5 of 12

VSE cant do this currently... but get on there at https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/products/product.asp

you can log a product enhancement request for VSE for this, in fact I think I will aswell. remember the more requests for the same thing the more likely this is to reach a production VSE version.

BTW if you still have autorun enabled for removable drives then it wil scan anything that reads into memory though (like all those autorun inf/bat/etc etc viruses but by this time it may be too late)

I always forget that is there, filled out a request
spader
Level 7
Message 7 of 12

The only way I have managed to do this currently is to ensure scanning on read is set. It doesnt scan on insert but it does scan it once the user opens the USB drive to view the files.

I have also filled out an enhancement request.
Mogsy
Level 7
Message 8 of 12

I too have filled out the request, this is a serious over-look on McAfee's part, given the amount of proliferation recently of malware and viruses via USB sticks. At least our Safend software protects us to a certain extent.

Why scan on plugin?

Why does VSE has to scan the USB drive immed?
If you plugin a 1TB USB HD it would take some time and system cpu.

Btw If anything is READ/WRITE from/to the drive it is scanned by VSE
Highlighted
Mogsy
Level 7
Message 10 of 12

RE: Why scan on plugin?

you wouldn't expect an external USB drive to be immediately and completely scanned, due to the way Windows operates, it will be scanned whenever you access the drive, the main issue is the AUTORUN feature which can be tampered with a launch all sorts of crap on immediate connection.

USB drives are more vulnerable, but they also in most cases, carry small amounts of data, which can usually be checked very quickly, they are also more portable, which means the user can move that stick to dozens of systems, and increase it's chances of infection (especially offshore and on other external company systems), but your not going lug-around a desktop USB drive system, so less chance of getting infected.

Hence when they have been offshore/overseas for 3 months, i like to know that our entire LAN has AUTORUN disabled via GPO, and that McAfee will make some sort of effort to check these sticks, when they are plugged into our systems, which it doesn't until the user goes looking for files/folders - we secure privacy keys incase of loss/theft.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community