cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjames
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

URGENT...Will a McAfee DAT be released to protect against the JAVA Zero Day Vulnerability...

Will McAfee be releasing a DAT to protect against the recently announced Oracle JAVA Zero Day vulnerability.

on 8/31/12 10:27:52 AM CDT
6 Replies
Tristan
Level 15
Message 2 of 7

Re: URGENT...Will a McAfee DAT be released to protect against the JAVA Zero Day Vulnerability...

You're better of installing the recently released patch 7 for Java. Better to fix problem rather than covering over the crack with a band-aid.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html

Message was edited by: Tristan on 31/08/12 17:15:29 IST
runcmd
Level 10
Message 3 of 7

Re: URGENT...Will a McAfee DAT be released to protect against the JAVA Zero Day Vulnerability...

I think tjames' question is valid, though...  Many organizations have a policy where a patch must go through a test process (of perhaps several days) before it can be rolled out to all their computers.  In such instances, VirusScan detecting the malware that takes advantage of the vulnerability to be patched makes a good stop-gap until the patch can be fully deployed.  And if there is a test process in place for virus definition updates, it may be shorter than the processes for testing patches.  Just my two cents....

i have been trying to get that same questions answered since yesterday and not one official word in these forums. Youd think its a simple enough answer, yes they and this is that dat or not yet.

Will someone from mcafee please answer? thank you

D-Fens
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

there is no answer because mcafee does not detect it yet: https://community.mcafee.com/message/254794#254794

and the question is more valid than ever, as even the update 7 still has new unfixed vulnerabilites

mjmurra
Level 12
Message 6 of 7

McAfee claim it is covered. Refer to the write-up for  MTIS12-137-J https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4139

pierce
Level 13
Message 7 of 7

I called platinium support and spoke to HIPS and VSE and they had no idea, that MTIS guide does indicate that the malware they are currently downloading via the zero day is covered. But what if they change the package downloaded (or more likely  when).

I think this is more a case of VSE will hopefully catch anything that gets downloaded either via the DAT or GTI. The issue with Java is either it needs to be patched or its access to the internet reduced. Im looking into some HIPS rules to only allow the java processes to connect to the internal network address as a remediation strategy.

Also 7 update 7 has apparently had other zero days discovered already just to cheer everyone up...