cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off AutoUpdate... still updates...

BACKGROUND

I am working on the remote administration of about 1000 laptops in the field (i.e. can't get my hands on them).

The laptops only connect to the internet via phone line - time of data transmissions is a large concern ($) so I want to lock down all access to the internet... so I do not want McAfee to download ANY updates of ANY type (updates will be transmitted by another mechanism).

So, we are automating the install of McAfee Enterprise version 8.7.0i on these laptops... In efforts to off auto updates I set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks\...\bSchedEnabled set to 0 but the updates are still occouring. How do I turn off the automated updates of the DAT, ENGINE and OTHER programmatically?

Thanks,

C

6 Replies
lulukk
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Turning off AutoUpdate... still updates...

please give more detail configuration....

Here are the details from the about box... let me know if this is the information you are looking for:

• VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.7.0i.
  • Scan Engine Version (32-bit) 5400.1158
  • DAT Version 6467.0000
  • DAT Created On: September 12 2011
  • Number of Signatures in extra.dat:: None
  • Names of threats that extra can detect: None
  • Buffer Overflow and Access Protection DAT Version: 516
  • Installed Patches: 2
  • Installed Modules:
    • Anti-spyware
    • License Type: licensed
ajacobs
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 7

Moved to our VirusScan Enterprise area for better attention.

Doesn't really require the modification of registry keys IMO.

Just go into the Virus Scan Console on the local machine, and there should be an "Auto Update" task. Inside here you can configure whatever updating you do, or do not want.

Exactly, but as I stated in my original post, I have to-do this remotely/programmatically on over 1000 machines that will not reliably be connected to the internet.

Highlighted

We decided to use a vbscript to execute regedt32.exe to delete the HMLM registry entry for the update Task - this appears to be the best solution for us currently:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DesktopProtection\Tasks\{task id here}]