Did you mean: 
SergeM
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 1

Trojan not detected issue !

Hi,

I have a detection issue here.
We received an eMail here, which had an MSWD file as attachment with a trojan that went almost undetected. On two systems which I know to be at risk and where I've set as tough rules as possible, the mail was detected in MS Outlook and quarantined.

Now, my problem : in order to find out why the trojan hadn't been detected on the server, I went and recovered he infected file, then I sent it to myself by mail.

1. the mail arrived to me undetected
  2. I'm using Thunderbird , McAfee VSE didn't detect it in my incoming mails (very disappointing) :mad:
  3. I saved the attachment and scanned with VSE 8.5i with the latest DAT for three days. No detection !!! :mad:
  4. I then scanned it using the Command Line Scanner ! It was only detected when using the /SECURE switch, which translates in "Examine all files, decompress archive files, and use heuristic analysis.". Hurray, we have a detection ! :eek:
  5. I sent the DOC to Webimmune and it was detected as exploit-msword.i.gen - "most powerful set of heuristic DAT drivers"

Now, what do I need to do to configure VSE so that it uses those DAT on my system ? Or rather, so that it does detect this trojan...

Also : when will McAfee do what's necessary so that incoming mail is correctly scanned even when not using MSOE... ? :mad:

thanks for any help
Serge
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community