cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Isagel
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

The McShield service terminated unexpectedly. Please review event 5019 or 5051 for details

I've been seeing this error on one of our servers in the application log in event viewer for months now.  McShield service crashes and freezes up the server for a few minutes.  Can't seem to find a solution for it.  Am running VSE 8.7 patch 4.  Have tried excluding .log file types, turning off scan on read and write for low-risk processes, adding low-risk process exclusions for processes that generate file timeouts.  I've re-installed VSE.

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Thanks.

7 Replies

Re: The McShield service terminated unexpectedly. Please review event 5019 or 5051 for details

Isagel,

You may try 2 things here :-

Go to McAfee Virus Scan console and Hit HELP. There, you can repair installation.  Check if that helps.

If not, please go to services.msc and check if mcshield.exe is set to restart immediately and please make sure that the default action on the failures is RESTART the services and I would say have it at immediate(0) seconds.

Please revert if any of this helped.

Thank you

Sameer

McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 8

Re: The McShield service terminated unexpectedly. Please review event 5019 or 5051 for details

Is Mcshield crashing because of scan time out? Please have a look at the Event viewer message (share also with us)? If yes then I will suggest you below.

1. Make sure that you have unchecked 'process on Enable' from OAS.

2. Increase the scan timeout value from default one?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Hi,

There are 2 types of McShield termination: The hardcoded and the unexpected crash. Here are common causes for both -

hardcoded:

- Large files taking long to scan where McShield reach the set timeout twice before it crashs to prevent system becoming unresponsive.

- Systems resources exhausted at time of scan or what's referred to as "CPU starvation"

Unexpected crash:

- VSE files version missmatch  - mostly the result of failed patch/hotfix installation.

- Incompatibility with 3rd party software

- No reboot after Upgrade or patch installation

Post the full event log if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Redouane

I've been getting the same issue on one particular server with patch 3 and now sadly with patch 4 for the same reason after a scan time out which usually happens after an update which I believed was supposed to be fixed in patch 4.

It may help if you can the OAS and Event log related to this timeout.

-- R

Isagel
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

This was never resolved but turns out the server is being decommissioned so doesn't matter all that much anymore.

I did notice though in event logs that files being scanned causing the timeouts were in the exclusion list yet still being scanned?

I have seen scan logs where the File was scanned via Hardware Path like Device\HardDiskVolume1\... rather than C:\...

This could be possibly one reason while there might be others as well. Check out KB61000

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB61000&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=...

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community