cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The McAfee McShield service terminated unexpectedly.

Hi,

We recently migrated from Virus Scan Enterpris 8.0i to 8.7i, all of the sudden some workstations on our organization generate an error message. below are the details

Program Error
Mcshield.exe has generated error and will be closed by windows. You need to restart the program
an error log is being generated

In the system event log i got this error message

The McAfee McShield service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 248 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Platforms: Windows XP SP3
Windows 2000 SP4

I already tried to ran windows update for latest security patch and reinstall mcafee 8.7i and still the error will occur.

Any Help would be appreaciated.

gerald
4 Replies

RE: The McAfee McShield service terminated unexpectedly.

did you perform an upgrade? Is the disk configured as a basic disk or dynamic disk? I would recommend just running an uninstall and reinstall either from the console or remote command.

If you have dynamic disks there is a bug in 8.7i that prevents the installation from completing or the service from starting

Here are the commands you can run to remove mcafee silently and without interaction

Remove Mcafee 8.0
MsiExec.exe /quiet /uninstall {5DF3D1BB-894E-4DCD-8275-159AC9829B43}

Remove Mcafee 8.5
msiexec /quiet /uninstall {35C03C04-3F1F-42C2-A989-A757EE691F65} REMOVE=ALL REBOOT=R /q

Remove Mcafee 8.7
MsiExec.exe /quiet /uninstall{147BCE03-C0F1-4C9F-8157-6A89B6D2D973}

It is configured as dynamic disk, Its working fine now after I reinstall the VSE8.7i:confused:

I wonder when VSE8.7i patch1 would be released?

Thanks for the advice

Cheers,

Gerald:)

I wonder when VSE8.7i patch1 would be released?

I believe it's been posted elsewhere on the forum that Patch 1 is due towards the end of this month.

Dynamic disk are problems with v8.7i. You can read about it here http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=226730

Patch 1 is suppose to fix this
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community