cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spooter
Level 7

Should Virusscan 8.7i show a 64bit scan engine on the about page for Windows 7?

Should Virusscan 8.7i show a 64bit scan engine on the about page for Windows 7?

As my install of Windows 7 is 64bit I would expect VSE to have a 64bit scan engine as well?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mal09
Level 12

Re: Should Virusscan 8.7i show a 64bit scan engine on the about page for Windows 7?

I don't know the correct answer, but I suspect it should.

For example, it does correctly show in Windows 2008 x64 etc.

0 Kudos
apoling
Level 14

Re: Should Virusscan 8.7i show a 64bit scan engine on the about page for Windows 7?

Yes; on my home Windows 7, VSE About screen displays both 32-bit and 64-bit engine versions.

Attila

0 Kudos
andydu
Level 7

The same here... both.

0 Kudos
jguenrdc
Level 12

I'm pretty sure I read a KB article or post somewhere that the only way for 64-bit versions of VirusScan to be installed properly was using ePO.  At the time (9 months ago?), I was setting up a Vista 64-bit system.  I installed VirusScan locally on it, and only the 32-bit version info showed up in the about page.  I removed it and used ePO to install it, and both the 32-bit and 64-bit info showed up.

Jay

0 Kudos
Mal09
Level 12

jguenrdc wrote:

I'm pretty sure I read a KB article or post somewhere that the only way for 64-bit versions of VirusScan to be installed properly was using ePO.  At the time (9 months ago?), I was setting up a Vista 64-bit system.

You might be right, but the article I recall was to do with the Scan engines. The Engine installation file couldn't update the x64 engine, and the only way to update the scan engine was via EPO.

0 Kudos
jguenrdc
Level 12

Now that you mention it, I think it was the engine update, not the whole product I was trying to install.

I think this is the kb article I was thinking of: KB51293.

Jay

0 Kudos
Mal09
Level 12

jguenrdc wrote:

Now that you mention it, I think it was the engine update, not the whole product I was trying to install.

I think this is the kb article I was thinking of: KB51293.

Jay

Yep, that's the KB article I was thinking of.

Actuually, there is another way to manually update the x64 engine - by downloading the EPO Engine package, then dumping some of the files from that into the Engine directory on the local machine ... but of course that isn't supported.

I'm not sure if McAfee have released an x64 compatible superdat/engine update installer.

0 Kudos
spooter
Level 7

Hi Gents,

I found the problem and it was with the 4.5 Agent.  The 64bit scan engine is installed but the 4.5 agent doesnt show the 64bit scan engine.

Engines.png

Anyone actually got the 4.5 agent displaying the 64bit scan engine on the about page?  I havent solved this yet but I know the 64bit scan engine is installed just not displayed so im not as worried.

Regards

0 Kudos
jguenrdc
Level 12

Hmm...

I could have sworn that our Vista 64-bit systems used to show the 64-bit engine version in the 4.5 agent about page, but I just checked all 3 of them and none of them show it.  It does show up in the VirusScan Console About page, as you indicated.

Jay

0 Kudos