Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kink80
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Scriptsn.dll remains in registry after VSE 8.8 is removed

Jump to solution

Here's the situation we have a Windows 2008 R2 server that was having issues reporting its values up to our SCOM server. We removed McAfee VSE 8.8 from the server thinking that the issue may stem from it. After removing VSE 8.8 from the server we still had the issue and upon further investigation found that the regsitry is still pointing to scriptsn.dll even after the product was removed. This is pictured below. Without manually changing the registry how can we get the registry point back to vbscript.dll? We have tried re-registering the vbscript.dll but that did not work. We also tried to unregister the scriptsn.dll but that did not work because that file does not exist any longer after removing VSE. Thanks in advance.

scriptsn.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: Scriptsn.dll remains in registry after VSE 8.8 is removed

Jump to solution

Removing VSE should have unregistered the scriptsn DLL for you. It's not clear why that didn't work.

From the point you are at now though, you could reinstall VSE 8.8, then install Patch 1. And there won't be any issue anymore.

Don't have Patch 1? Call Support and explain you're having issues with SCOM and ScriptScan.

I think it easier to just correct the value manually, if you have regedit open.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

View solution in original post

5 Replies
McAfee Employee wwarren
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Removing VSE should have unregistered the scriptsn DLL for you. It's not clear why that didn't work.

From the point you are at now though, you could reinstall VSE 8.8, then install Patch 1. And there won't be any issue anymore.

Don't have Patch 1? Call Support and explain you're having issues with SCOM and ScriptScan.

I think it easier to just correct the value manually, if you have regedit open.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

View solution in original post

kink80
Level 12
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reponse. i will contact support to get the patch today!

Jump to solution

I reported a similar problem when upgrading VSE 8.5 to 8.7i, looks like the core issue is unresolved in both 8.7i and 8.8!  See these references for more info, and you might want to let support know when you call them so it can be fixed for everyone.

Vista SP2 VSE 8.5i upgrade to VSE 8.7i Repost 4 disabled VBScript      https://community.mcafee.com/message/170485#170485

Applications using scripts can fail when VSE 8.8 ScriptScan component is disabled     https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71660

kink80
Level 12
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

I did see these posts that you had made. We tried the methods listed however we were reluctant to change the registry by hand on a server that is in our production environment. I did open a case with McAfee and report the problem. They have escalated to Tier II so I can get Patch 1.

ccroff
Level 9
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

aladdin9 wrote:

I reported a similar problem when upgrading VSE 8.5 to 8.7i, looks like the core issue is unresolved in both 8.7i and 8.8!  See these references for more info, and you might want to let support know when you call them so it can be fixed for everyone.

Vista SP2 VSE 8.5i upgrade to VSE 8.7i Repost 4 disabled VBScript      https://community.mcafee.com/message/170485#170485

Applications using scripts can fail when VSE 8.8 ScriptScan component is disabled     https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB71660

This is a known issue and is fixed in patch 1.

There are also kb's available on kc.mcafee.com discussing workarounds.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community