cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mhday
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

Reducing Permissions to Domain Accounts to halt spread of viruses - Documentation?

My manager has always advised us to limit the permissions of non-administrative file shares from "Everyone" to "Domain Users" to help stop the spread of viruses such as W32/Autorun.  While its seems logical to restrict access with system and anonymous credentials a I've been asked to produce some documentation on this so we can get an SOP created and approved before a CAB committee.

Does anyone know where I can find documentation on this?  Is this something that McAfee recommends?

Thanks for your help.

2 Replies
Tristan
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Reducing Permissions to Domain Accounts to halt spread of viruses - Documentation?

Re: Reducing Permissions to Domain Accounts to halt spread of viruses - Documentation?

One potential issue of not using Everyone is that home users that use a VPN and are not using a computer that is using domains (such as just a basic home computer) may not be able to easily connect to the shares. You then need to do something like "Net use \\server\share /user:domain\login" or "net use x: \\server\share /user:domain\login".

MPower Badge Now Available
Customers attending MPower can earn a community badge. Check into the MPower forum and say hi to have the badge awarded to your community profile.