cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Programs and updates not working when using McAfee 8.8

Richard, I am sorry but you really need to assume people are not experts with these programs and just use them as a tool.  I opened the link you send and it has lots of information that is quite beyond my simple understanding of these systems, especially how it relates to the problem I have asked about and implementing it with the McAfee 8.8 console.  I don't want to turn off the files in general, I just want to make it so that McAfee does not prevent the scans from being downloaded.  This article just tells me where these various files are located and what they look like. 

Specifically with what you said, which "exclusion pattern identified at the top of the article" are you SPECIFICALLY talking about, and how and where do I "add it?"   What about the other programs that are having problems like skype and other downloads, using email servers when I bring my laptop with me to work and sign into their system (when I do that I have to disable the virus protector as well). 

I also appreciate your assistance but again, I am not that good with all of this stuff.  What do I actually do with the stuff you sent me?

Highlighted

Hi,

Are you using VSE in standalone or are you managed by ePO (Do you have the McAfee Agent installed enforcing your policies).  The processes are slightly different for either option, but happy to share screen shots of how to confiure a Low-Risk policy to exclude scanning of Windows Updates files.

Rich

I am not sure how to check to see if I am using VSE or are managed by ePO.  How do I check?  I attached a screen shot of my VirusScan Console.....maybe that helps?  Please let me know how I can do this with letting the windows updates download (the updater runs, but it says it can't finish when I have the virus projector on), and other programs (like Skype).  Thanks.

You can check if you are managed through a few routes, but checking if the McAfee Agent Service is running is most likely the easiest.

Open up Services.msc from your start menu and check for McAfee Agent Service.  If it is not present you are most likely in management mode and will need to contact your Enterprise ePO Admin.

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 12.23.49.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 12.23.02.png

if you are in standalone mode you can add the exclusions directly in the VirusScan console:

To add Paths to exclude add the mapping to the path under 'On Access Scanner > Default Processes > Exclusions' and for process exclusions you can add the process to the On Access Scanner > Low-Risk Processes > Exclusions and uncheck Scan Items > Scan files' for the known processes in the Exclusions list.

Rich

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator