cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Programs and updates not working when using McAfee 8.8

So this happens with various programs I am using.  My computer is protected, but then a program addon to Microsoft word called "Grammarly" (and there is also an icon for it on my desktop) will not work, or my windows updates will not work unless I go to the VirusScan Console and disable Access Protection and On-Access Scanner (not sure if I have disable both of them or just one but I do both anyways).  There are some other programs that I have trouble with this also (an addon called Write-N-Cite comes to mind).  I have heard there are difficult, non-intuitive ways to "unblock" these programs but I am not computer expert and really just want a way to allow these programs without always having to disable my virus protection.  Does anyone have some suggestions?

13 Replies
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 14

Re: Programs and updates not working when using McAgee 8.8

​,

Moved from Support Forums to VirusScan Enterprise > Discussions

For better exposure and better assistance.

By

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Re: Programs and updates not working when using McAgee 8.8

Sorry, you are saying you have already moved it or I should do that?  I thought maybe you had an answer for me.

Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Re: Programs and updates not working when using McAfee 8.8

I have moved it in order to have more exposure, so as one with knowledge of the product can add to the discussion, and offer assistance . I will attempt to get a Buisness Product Moderator to chime in.

​ Could you kindly assist this individual?

All the very Best,

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Hi dave090@gmail.com 

You refer to two different settings. 

Access Protection prevents internal McAfee services and processes from being changed compromising the effectiveness of the security product. 

On-Access Scannig (also know as OAS) is the sub system which scans files when they are accessed, meaning either read or written to and from disk. 

You can 'Whitelist' files and processes to prevent them from being scanned which will speed up the time taken to access the files, and could also prevent any files being deleted. 

It is likely to be OAS preventing your applications from running (or slowing them down) since Access Protection doesn't scan files. 

If you could run your tests again by only disabling OAS to confirm this is your issue and if that is the case we can help you craft your exclusions in your OAS policy. 

Thanks

Rich

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Business Products 

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Thanks Rich

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

I am not sure how to whitelist the programs.  And I am not sure what running the scan would do as the issue I am talking about does not occur when I am necessarily running a scan.  Its just when I have my virus protector on some programs just don't work and I can't do windows updates unless I disable it.  What should I do?  Thanks.

I was still hoping to get help with this.  Please let me know.....

Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Another good reference point for AV exclusions: Consolidated list of Endpoint Security/VirusScan Enterprise exclusion articles Technical Articles ID:   KB66909 Last Modified:  1/13/2017

McAfee Corporate KB - Consolidated list of Endpoint Security/VirusScan Enterprise exclusion articles...

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers

HI,

Take a look at this article from Microsoft with regard to exclusions for Windows.  Try adding the exclusions pattern identified at the top of the article for Windows Update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/822158/virus-scanning-recommendations-for-enterprise-comput...

Regards

Rich

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center