cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiler 2.0.1 Wont run on VSE 8.8 Patch 13

Im trying to use Profiler 2.0.1 with VSE 8.8 on Win10 1809. 

I cant start the capture.  The Error I get is "Profiler could not configure the McSheild Service..."

Also, is there a way to get the PIDs included in the report?  I'm getting a ".exe" with no name associated.  I want to confirm this is the Memory Compression process.

5 Replies
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Profiler 2.0.1 Wont run on VSE 8.8 Patch 13

Hi @JesseW1,

Thank you for this post. This really a weird one. The only instance I have come across this (based on my browsing through Community forums) is when a DAT update happens. Can you confirm that the endpoint is not running an update task?

Also, Same can be said with On Demand Scan task. When an On Demand Scan is running, McAfee profiler cannot be used.

Other version specific limitations and product behavior can be found under "C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee, LLC\McAfee Profiler\"in the Readme.txt file.

I found this which may help you resolve the issue if the complete error matches:

"The following error message pops up if McShield
service is not running during McAfee Profiler
intialization.

"Profiler could not configure the McShield service.
Ensure that McShield is running. Data Capture
aborted."

WORKAROUND:
- Close McAfee Profiler.
- From the McAfee Profiler installation folder
open “McProfiler.config” in a text editor.
- Increase “WaitBeforeMcShieldStartMilSec” time value.
Default value is 5000 milli-seconds (5 seconds).
- Save the file and restart McAfee Profiler, and try
to capture the data again."

I sincerely hope this was helpful. Please keep us posted on how it goes!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for posting your query

Looks like there is some third party Dll file or product hooking on to it and not allowing it to start

Could you please run the process monitor while the issue is reproduced and share the procmon logs

The Best way to take the forward is to log a SR with McAfee Tech support team

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Hi @JesseW1 

I am not sure what happened, but your last response seems to have been deleted. However, based on what I saw, here is a helpful KBA that should help you identify the root cause and possibly assist you resolve it. Please note that this covers a wide range of topics and the issue we are facing should be covered under "How we use Access Protection or Arbitrary Access Control"

This is basically Endpoint's Self Protection coming into picture and hence disabling Access Protection did not help us in this place. I sincerely hope you find this helpful.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Thanks for the possible solutions.  I will try them and reply back.

Another question I had is how can you enable the Process IDs for the reports?  Wouldn't that be useful when identifying what process is being scanned during a profile?

Is it possible to enable Process IDs in McProfiler?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Hi @JesseW1 

Apologies for the delay. I hope the proposed steps worked out for you. I am afraid we will not be able to see PIDs from the profiler.

I would recommend posting your idea as a Product Enhancement request as mentioned here.

I sincerely hope the issue with running profiler got resolved though.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community