cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with installation

Jump to solution

I've been on the 24/7 online help and was told that I had got through to the wrong department and to contact UK so I tried to make an account to email them but it wouldn't accept my email address.

During installation of VirusScan Enterprise Version 8.7i the status stops on Stopping services and an error box pops up saying

"Error 1921. Service McAfee McShield McShield could not be stopped. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to stop system services."

Anyone know how to deal with this? I've looked everywhere and I can't find a solution. I've seen error 1920 for 'start services' but nothing on stopping.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problem with installation

Jump to solution

Hi,

It is all sorted now.

Thank you for your help.

13 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 14

Jump to solution

Discussion moved from Home and Home Office/VirusScan to Business/VirusScan Enterprise for better attention.

Jump to solution

Dear wildlifestudent,

Could u tell me when ur getting this error msg during fresh installation else re-installation ?

its managed node or unmanaged -Managed by ePO ?

if its managed could u please uninstall the McAfee agent and try to install the VSE 8.7( its not exact solution but i have succeeded many times) .....

Pls ref the link which may help u a lot....

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB59863&pmv=print

Jump to solution

Hi,

Sometimes this problem may occur due to the improper uninstallation of VSE could u pls use the MCPR tool to uninstall the previous installed VSE product as well as information from the PC and try to install freshly.....

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Jump to solution

I believe MCPR cleanup tool only applies to the Consumer products.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/02/12 3:33:31 EST AM

Jump to solution

Hi Brit,

How are you ...?

i know MCPR.EXE is for consumer product but i have succeeded for VSE8.7 .....

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Jump to solution

It may appear to work but I assure you that's not what it's designed for so shouldn't be used for VSE as it would leave many remnants I am sure.   Please don't recommend it here in Corporate.

MCPR stands for McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool, that's all it's meant to be used with.

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Jump to solution

Other than the Control Panel > Programs removal method the only approved method for Corporate would be those outlined in the KB articles:

For VSE: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2371

Jump to solution

Hi Brit,

Yes i accept ur words.......

Jump to solution

It's fresh installation.

My university accommodation requires me to download this specific version for me to access the internet. The grant number is given to me by them and then the list of products come up, I download ver8.7i and it downloads as a zip file. I open up setup and when it is downloading it says 'Status' and goes through quickly everything it is installing and then it stops of 'Stopping Services' and the error code comes up.

I don't know how it is managed, sorry.

The only 8.7 version I can see from the product list is AntiSpyware Enterprise Module v8.7 rather than VirusScan Enterprise which I am told to download...?

Message was edited by: wildlifestudent on 13/02/12 13:48:54 CST