Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hlhjr
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Problem with VSE 8.7i and My Computer drive letters for USB drives

Starting on Monday, when people unplug and plug in USB drives (sticks and external drives), the drives will show up near the tasktray to eject them and in disk management with a drive letter assigned, but in My Computer itself it does not show the device?!

We tried updating to the latest hotfix 3, still the same results.  Seems weird the disk management sees the drives and assign them a letter, but in My Computer they don't show.  You can't even type the letter in My computer address field (it shows as not available).  When you go to the DOS prompt and type the letter it can access it.

When we removed McaFee altogether, the drives show up in My Computer normally when unplugged and plugged back in.

When you log off then back on with the drives plugged in, the drives show in My Computer normally.

What's the fix?

Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: hlhjr on 3/31/10 7:11:55 AM GMT-06:00
4 Replies
hlhjr
Level 7
Message 2 of 5

Re: Problem with VSE 8.7i and My Computer drive letters for USB drives

any tips?

Message was edited by: hlhjr on 3/31/10 6:18:07 PM GMT-06:00
Mal09
Level 12
Message 3 of 5

I suspect someone has fiddled with Access Protection settings - it's the only logical answer I can give,

Do you get the same results if Access Protection is switched off?

hlhjr
Level 7
Message 4 of 5

I am the only one with access to the box.  Even with access protection and scanner disabled it does the same thing.  mcshield.exe takes 50% resources then after it is "done doing whatever" the drive pops up.  Removing mcafee altogether fixes the problem?!

EDIT: after rebooting with the install of VSE 8.7i Hotfix 3, the time is cut down dramatically when inserting the drive.  I have noticed that even on empty drives, it may take 15-20 seconds for My Computer to bring the drive letter up.  Any way to speed that up?

Message was edited by: hlhjr on 4/1/10 6:31:36 AM GMT-06:00
hlhjr
Level 7
Message 5 of 5

Well, I updated all McAfee agents to the latest 4.5 and pushed out McAfee 8.7i Patch 3.  All systems seem to be working now.  Drives are appearing normally and quickly.

EDIT: While I was updating I also updated to the latest Antisyware module as well.

Message was edited by: hlhjr on 4/5/10 8:58:52 AM GMT-06:00