cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Installing Windows Updates

Jump to solution

Hi all, its my firts time posting here, im a new epo admin, and i have the following problem:

When i try to install some windows updates in my clients, (windows xp sp3), it give me some error, when i check my logs, i found the following:

8/19/2010    3:38:39 PM    Blocked by Access Protection rule     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM    f:\1426dd23b9109cde18bc1989bb\update\wdssetup.exe    \REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Classes\.ascx\PersistentHandler    Anti-virus Maximum Protection:Prevent alteration of all file extension registrations    Action blocked : Write

I have tried dissabling the following rules:  Anti-virus Maximum Protection:Prevent alteration of all file extension registrations.

Prevent Windows Process spoofing.

But i can't install the updates, i'm trying to deploy WSUS.

Sorry for my bad english, and thanks for the asistance.

Greetings,

Amaury M.

Dominican Republic.

epo 4.0 and vsf 8.7i

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Problem Installing Windows Updates

Jump to solution

Hidarkvicoamao ,

This can be easily solved.

Please go to to the McAfee Access Protection Properties.

The 3rd option. which is the Antivirus Standard Protection, The 1st option :- Prevent Registry editor and task manager from being disabled'. Now this gets very aggressive. This features just doesnt allow any changes to be made to the Registry Editor.

Please uncheck it and everything should work fine.

Thank you

Sameer

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Jump to solution

I'm still working with this problem, i'm doing some researchs, i let you know for some new info.

Jump to solution

Well i go to close this discussion, i see nobody know how to help or dont wanna.

But i will try until success in the solution of this problem.

Well thanks in advance.

apoling
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello,

just saw your thread here.

One of the Virusscan Access Protection rules is set to block and report for a rule whose name is displayed (Prevent alteration of...). Possibly the WSUS installation wants to register some of the files for its own management and the Access Protection prevents this form happening.

Please go to the appropriate Virusscan policy that applies to the given client and select Access Protection category. Find the rule and deselect the block and report option both.

Watch out that you might need to do it for servers and workstations, too (the selectionis within the policy property page of the above category).

Wait until clients are doing an ASCI or wake up this client.

Attila

Jump to solution

i go to test and let you know, thanks.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hidarkvicoamao ,

This can be easily solved.

Please go to to the McAfee Access Protection Properties.

The 3rd option. which is the Antivirus Standard Protection, The 1st option :- Prevent Registry editor and task manager from being disabled'. Now this gets very aggressive. This features just doesnt allow any changes to be made to the Registry Editor.

Please uncheck it and everything should work fine.

Thank you

Sameer

View solution in original post

apoling
Level 14
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi Samir,

please could you support your suggestion in light of the original question? What is the meaning of it? I don't see it now.

Attila

Jump to solution

Thanks Attila Polinger, your response help me a lot, i have left the report option checked, now i have tested and is working great.

Thanks a lot.

Darkvicoamao

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community