Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spe29
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 15

Problem Enabling McAfee and On-Access Scanner in Windows 7

Hey all,

I'm new to this community help site, and i'm in need of some help.

I upgraded from Windows Vista to 7 yesterday, and ever since I started using Windows 7, an "important message" (as some of you might know from using 7) pops up saying to enable McAfee and the on-access scanner. It told me to shut off McAfee before upgrading, so I did. And now, I can't turn it back on. Any help? I included a pdf of a screenshot of the Action Center, if that helps

Thanks so much!

Sam N.

14 Replies
Dinz
Level 16
Message 2 of 15

Re: Problem Enabling McAfee and On-Access Scanner in Windows 7

Hi spe79,

May I know whether your security center states Am I protected YES or Your computer is secure ?

Also let me know what exactly happens when you try to turn on mcafee  ?

Did you run mcafee virtual technician, if not, please run MVT from http://mvt.mcafee.com  and post me the session id.

Regards,

Dinesh K

spe29
Level 7
Message 3 of 15

Dinesh,

I'm not sure what you mean by your first question, but when i try to turn on the Mcafee on access scanner, literally nothing happens. My access protection, buffer overflow protection, and on-delivery email scanner are all "enabled", but my on-access scanner will not enable.

My Mcafee Virtual Technician isn't working right now, i'm going to keep trying to get it to work.

I'm including a picture of my VirusScan Console, if that helps:

Capture.PNG

Dinz
Level 16
Message 4 of 15

Hi spe29,

Thanks for the image of your virus scan console, it’s an enterprise product. I shall move your thread to the enterprise section where our experts would be helping you soon.

Thanks,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

Spe,

There can be 2 things  here :-

1} Either you have not enabled the On Access Scanner from the Access Protection Settings

or

2} The McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise is not able to report its status to the Security Centre,

Now, Lets check if the On Access Scanner is on or not :-

Please open up the Access Protection Settings. Kindly check if you have selected the option ' ENABLE ACCESS PROTECTION". Also, Please check if you have enabled " PREVENT McAfee SERVICES FROM BEING STOPPED".

If both of these are positive, Then open up the Taskmanager and check if you see a process " mcshield.exe". If that is also Positive, Then I do not think you have anything to worry about.

However, If while carrying out the above steps, You find that you had not enabled the said services, Please enable them now and that should take care of the issue.

2} If the VSE is not reporting its status properly, Then please wait for Patch 3 which is due very soon. That should take care of the issue.

Please let me know if this helped !

Sameer

spe29
Level 7
Message 6 of 15

Sameer,

Thanks for the reply!

I opened up the Access Protection Settings, and I checked both the boxes you told me to.

When I opened the Task Manager, I didn't see the process "mcshield.exe". Here is a screenshot of the Task Manager:

Capture2.PNG

I'm not sure what else to do.

Where can I find the 3rd Patch?

Thanks,

Sam N.

Hey Sam,

This is where the problem is.

Let us do one thing. Please open up the Virus Scan console, Click on HELP  and then Click on REPAIR INSTALLATION.

Follow the Onscreen instructions and check if this takes care of the isssue and then verify if you see mcshield.exe active in the processes. If not, Then I suggest you to uninstall and then reinstall VSE 8.7i.

As far as the Patch 3 is concerned, You will see that under the Product Downloads in the coming days. The due date is next week.

Sameer

Sam,

Correction. The patch 3 for VSE 8.7i is due tomorrow.

Please try the repair/reinstall option and revert with the results.

Sameer

spe29
Level 7
Message 9 of 15

Sameer,

The repair didn't work.

My laptop came with McAfee already installed on it, and i'm not sure if I even have a disk that came with the laptop. How can I uninstall it and then reinstall it again? I'm not sure where to turn...

And i'll look for the patch, thanks.

Sam

spe29
Level 7
Message 10 of 15

Where can I find the patch thats released today?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community