Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Rushikesh101
Level 7

Prevent user to remove Virusscan Enterprise

Jump to solution

How can I prevent users with administrator rights to uninstall VirusScan enterprise with the uninstall key? I can do this for McAfee DLP but not for VSE.

Kindly help me on this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: Prevent user to remove Virusscan Enterprise

Jump to solution

Greetings, great question . 

KB69716 

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8, 8.7i  

Summary

This article describes how to prevent users with sufficient local system permissions from removing VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) through the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature.

CAUTION: This article contains information about opening or modifying the registry.
  • The following information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
  • Before proceeding, Technical Support strongly recommends that you back up your registry and understand the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986.
  • Do not run a REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.

Solution

VirusScan Enterprise 8.8
Modify the registry to prevent VSE being removed:

1. Click StartRun, type regedit, and press ENTER.
  2. Navigate to and select the appropriate registry key below:

For 32-bit systems:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF}

For 64-bit systems:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF}

3. Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD value.
  4. Name the new value NoRemove and press ENTER.
  5. Double-click NoRemove, set the Value data to 1, and click OK.
  6. Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD value.
  7. Name the new value NoModify and press ENTER.
  8. Double-click NoModify, set the Value data to 1, and click OK.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
undrstr
Level 9

Jump to solution

Part of the VSE is the ability to lock the service (Virus Scan0 from being stopped.  This is part of the Access protection Policies.  Under the Access Protection Settings make sure that Prevent McAfee Services from being stopped as well as Enabled Enhanced Self Protection. 

That really is the best that you can do at this point.  However in my past experience by locking down the service so that it cannot be disabled, stops the program from being removed.  You can also add a password protection under the General Options and then not give the password out. 

Best ways I know of. 

hope this helps.

McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Greetings, great question . 

KB69716 

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8, 8.7i  

Summary

This article describes how to prevent users with sufficient local system permissions from removing VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) through the Windows Add/Remove Programs feature.

CAUTION: This article contains information about opening or modifying the registry.
  • The following information is intended for System Administrators. Registry modifications are irreversible and could cause system failure if done incorrectly.
  • Before proceeding, Technical Support strongly recommends that you back up your registry and understand the restore process. For more information, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986.
  • Do not run a REG file that is not confirmed to be a genuine registry import file.

Solution

VirusScan Enterprise 8.8
Modify the registry to prevent VSE being removed:

1. Click StartRun, type regedit, and press ENTER.
  2. Navigate to and select the appropriate registry key below:

For 32-bit systems:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF}

For 64-bit systems:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{CE15D1B6-19B6-4D4D-8F43-CF5D2C3356FF}

3. Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD value.
  4. Name the new value NoRemove and press ENTER.
  5. Double-click NoRemove, set the Value data to 1, and click OK.
  6. Right-click in the right pane and select New, DWORD value.
  7. Name the new value NoModify and press ENTER.
  8. Double-click NoModify, set the Value data to 1, and click OK.
0 Kudos