cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: Prevent autorun.inf on flash drives (8.5i or 8.7i)

Sorry for the late reply, but if I only want to disable the Autorun for removable media (i.e. USB flash drives) I need to change the value from 95 to 4, correct?
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 15

Maybe, but not advisable.

Sorry, too long an explanation.

Does this explain things better? Let me know if I can help further.
Ron Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted
Mogsy
Level 7
Message 13 of 15

like most IT departments, we set an AD GPO policy months ago, when we realised the increased threat of USB sticks and virus being spread, partially thanks to McAfee notification and newsletter services.

We use Safend to secure our end-points, and we only use approved secure USB sticks, but still we disabled all AUTORUN features to all domain systems, and users informed how to many run the security files for password prompt on the secure sticks. Some guidance to your users, managerial support and good reasons for the changes, go a long way to helping everyone adjust.

We have done the same thing. We were also lucky enough that we had managements backing way back when we converted over from Windows 95 to NT that users do not have admin rights. Its been a challenge at times especially figuring out the software permission issues but we have been able to avoid a virus outbreaks over the last 10 years. We did have some users complain that their CD's wouldn't open up automaticly but we told them it was a security issue and they would just have to learn how to use either my computer or explorer to open up their files.
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 15 of 15

I agree fully. That said, sometimes even these measures are inadequate to prevent infections. (Ten years, Great!) As evidence, I have had to clean up after a Virut infection that left many files on external drives damaged. (Fortunately, restoration of the original files worked on the external drives. However, the original infected PC, though cleaned up was damaged severely enough to require a full OS reload for restoration of proper function.)

Though Autorun functions are a major infection vector, they unfortunately, are not the only vector. Though shutting down Autorun on external drives helps, more must be done -- by All.

I would like to know if anyone can recommend / find external hard drives or thumb drives which have a 'switch' forcing 'Read-Only' mode. (By switch, I mean mechanical/electrical device and not a Software based system which could possibly be bypassed.)

Thanks,
Ron Metzger
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community