Did you mean: 
dazza1
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 19

Patch 10 & Windows Security Centre

Jump to solution

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has had this, but on a few machines here we are finding that after installing Patch 10 for VirusScan and then rebooting the users are then getting a Windows 10 Security Centre message stating that both Defender and McAfee VirusScan are switch off.  Have had this on Windows 10 versions 1703 and 1709.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee dmcgeary
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 19

Re: Patch 10 & Windows Security Centre

Jump to solution

Greetings, 
 For a curent status please see KB90221

18 Replies

Jump to solution

I'm seeing the same issue on Win10 1607.  We are running 8.8 Patch 10 on a few devices, and getting Action Center message where both Defender and VSE are turned off.  I was told by McAfee support that this flag will appear during a DAT update because it restarts the VSE service, and this is considered normal.  I'm not sure if I agree with this because if an end user sees this, most likely they will put in a ticket.

Does McAfee even check these support forums anymore?!?  I see many unanswered posts.

mcafee_vse_issue1.jpg

pafa
Level 7
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

I am seeing the same thing on our systems (Windows 10 1703) and Patch 10 - we did NOT have this problem with Patch 9 - so I would say that Mcafee support is wrong...this should not be a problem...

Reliable Contributor Daniel_S
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

Interesting, same here with upgrade to P10 on Win10 1709.

Support in the last days has really become shitty.

Best regards

Dan

Best regards
Dan
dazza1
Level 7
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

I received the following from McAfee Support:

I have seen these issues with that Microsoft window
before and I would like to direct you to the below explanation/suggestion:

The Windows Defender Security Center is an optional
integration point with Microsoft Windows 10, and McAfee Enterprise endpoint
products, of which VSE is one, is being worked on with Microsoft to plan and
integrate with Windows Defender Security Center. However, at this time, this
has not been completed and therefore you can expect to see these kind of
issues.

Further information:

Windows Defender Security Center background details In
Windows 10, version 1703 and later, Microsoft introduced a new Windows Defender
Security Center application that brings together common Windows security
features in one application. With this release, Microsoft increased the scope
of the application to also show information from third-party anti-virus and
firewall applications.

Workaround:

See the following Microsoft guidance for managing notifications
that appear on endpoints:

https://apac01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Fwind...

So, until a future Patch release of VSE is forthcoming,
your only option is to follow the Microsoft advice above for configuration.

This is basically telling me to turn off the notifications.  While I could do this, it doesn't really explain why it is doing it now and didn't before patch 10 was installed.

Thanks.

Jump to solution

We are still on Windows 10 version 1607.  So why is it happening to us in our environment if the documentation above points to 1703 and newer?

Jump to solution

I have a ticket open with support on this as well, all they want from me is logs and I really don't want to waste time collecting these if all they are going to tell me is that I need to use this work around. I am seeing this on Win 10 1511 and 1607, so its not just a 1703 issue as sgrechtman said.

Phil79
Level 7
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

FYI - I went a few rounds w/McAfee support on this as they first indicated it was an MS problem.  I said we had no such issues with patch 9 and they only started occuring with Patch 10.  After a couple of weeks of back and forth, I finally got McAfee to acknowledge the issue and they stated (on 12/21/17) that "...this issue will be fixed on VSE 8.8 Patch 12, with an ETA for Q2 2018.  Until that time, this issue needs to be treated as a cosmetic issue.”

Jump to solution

you can try the GPO settings in active directory to disable the security notificaiton.

Windows 10 Version 1709

 GPO Setting: Computer Configuration - Windows Components\Windows Defender Security Center\Notifications --> Hide all notifications                                                                                   
 Registry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender Security Center\Notifications-->DisableNotifications         

Windows 10 Version 1607
 GPO Setting: Computer Configuration - Windows Components\Windows Defender\Client Interface --->Supress all Notifications                                                                                 
 Registry: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\UX Configuration\Notification_Suppress
 Description:  If you enable "suppress all notifications", notifications are no longer displayed on clients.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee dmcgeary
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

Greetings, 
 For a curent status please see KB90221

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.