cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Outlook hangs on every received e-mail VSE 8.8 patch 9

Same thing has happened in our environment on both Outlook 2010 & 2013 using Exchange 2010 only since updating to Patch 9.  The auto-discover settings haven't changed for years and it was fine until Patch 9 so this is NOT because of auto-discover mis-configuration or, if it is, some change to Patch 9 has uncovered the fault.

Also our auto-discover is working just fine and test it using Microsoft's Connectivity Analyzer report we're configured properly so I'm really not giving much credibility to the mis-configured auto-discover theory at this point.

illana
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 22 of 33

Final response:

Thank you for your response.

When Email is received that outlook is paused "Hangs" until the message body is scanned -  This is working as designed. Even after following all the steps and issue still the same. As this feature is not available you need to submit a PER from your end as per the article mentioned below.

https://kb.mcafee.com/agent/index?page=content&id=TN300497

To submit a PER please refer the KB article KB60021.

So this is a feature, not a bug. Great work McAfee

eyal
Level 7
Message 23 of 33

Good day,

Have you received any positive feedback from McAfee regarding this issue or did you manage to resolve it without disabling the add-in?

Regards

Not directly, no.  However recently I've received messaging advising me that as a VSE license holder I have the right to install Endpoint Security 10.5.  I'm interpreting that to mean at this time the solution to ANY VSE problem is to install Endpoint Security.

I suspect VSE is being killed off.  Two reasons: 1) see my note regarding the right to use Endpoint Security, above and 2) the VSE splash screen hasn't changed since 2012.  I suspected VSE was getting killed off when I noticed it was still showing copyright 2012 in 2015 (and it's the same today, even with P9).  This new announcement to be able to run Endpoint security on VSE license is convincing me of the end of VSE even more.

illana
Level 7
Message 25 of 33

I'm scared to use it though, guess I could just put it on my machine for a few months and see how it goes

They still don't have a version of McAfee Profiler that works with Endpoint Security, so we're sticking with VSE and this Outlook hang issue until then.

jrp78
Level 10
Message 27 of 33

The official response I got was "it's by design", which is unacceptable IMO. It only started with Patch 9. I did not completely disable the On Delivery Email Scan policy. I simply went into the policy and unchecked "Scan email message body". This helps tremendously. And yes, this does remove one layer of protection but standard on-access is still enabled. Also, our email filter appliance runs AV which is another layer of protection. VSE is absolutely going away. I have been told that by Intel quite some time ago. Endpoint is the future, I just haven't had time to begin testing.

eyal
Level 7
Message 28 of 33

Thank you we decided to upgrade to ENS 10.5

Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Message 29 of 33

Was wondering:

What's the Artemis Sensitivity level set at? AND have you applied all the Outlook VSE exclusions?

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers
illana
Level 7
Message 30 of 33

Under instruction from McAfee I had Artemis set to disabled and what do you mean by all Outlook VSE exclusions? This wasn't mentioned to me.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community